Anatomy B/C

scinure
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Anatomy B/C

Postby scinure » November 18th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Hello everyone I'm kind of new here (since I just registered :D :D :D ) Im participating in Anatomy in division b. Please be genorous and provide me with tips and links and I will try to help everyone a much a I can.(Ugh.. :cry: I hate formalities :lol: :lol: :lol:

penclspinner

Postby penclspinner » November 18th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Hello everyone I'm kind of new here (since I just registered ) Im participating in Anatomy in division b. Please be genorous and provide me with tips and links and I will try to help everyone a much a I can.(Ugh.. I hate formalities

Feel free to read thru this whole thread, there are a plethora of good links and tips to help you out.

stardream23
Division: B
State: TX

Postby stardream23 » November 20th, 2010, 1:54 pm

Hey guys,
I'm actually Anatprof77. I made a new account. Anyway, u can ask me anything respiratory.
what do we need to know about the effect of the respiratory system and the main pulmonary ventilation? please and thank you

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA

Postby Kokonilly » December 17th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Okay, so one of the new diseases this year is myositis, right? Well, I was looking here, and...
Often people who have temporary myositis from one of these causes are concerned when they find the TMA web site and read about the serious, chronic form of myositis. When we talk about myositis, we mean the inflammatory myopathies.
So do we have to study the chronic form or the simple form (just inflammation of the muscles)?
EDIT: Apparently there are a lot of forms. Bother. We'll have to know all of them, right?
EDIT2: Johns Hopkins is wonderful.

Arthur
State: PA

Postby Arthur » December 31st, 2010, 7:12 am

does anyone have a good website for patterns of breathing? i can't seem to find any... :?

2jawedm
Division: C
State: CT

Postby 2jawedm » December 31st, 2010, 10:12 am

alright everyone. getting psyched for 2011?!

im posting to let everyone know that im here to answer questions or concerns about material/study tips. credentials, you ask? i've won this event (gold medal) 3 years in a row at the CT state competition (once in B and twice in C) ... which for some reason always includes national information. so, i have prepared for the national tournament even though our school hasn't made it...yet!
just a couple tips for y'all:

-the best review for diseases, for anything, is MayoClinic.com
-get a professional medical review book for the anatomy. if you're an EMT this helps a lot since the review books (like my EMTB one) really help. i have used for the past three years Tortora's principles of anatomy and physiology since i am in touch with a med school- none of that "for dummies" or cliffnotes
-don't use the links they give you on the scioly website to study, esp for muscles. they're only good for reviewing before the tournament once you've learned the information.
-make trillions of flash cards. no joke.

alright. hope this helps!! ask me anything if you have questions.

-2jawedm

aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: AL

Postby aubrey048 » January 2nd, 2011, 8:06 am

I have a question.

-Ok. The Rules say that you can bring a double-sided page of notes. My mom takes this to mean handwritten only, but I believe (and hope) these can be typed. Does anyone think I will be penalized if I bring in typed notes???

P.S :Thanks 2jawedm for the helpful advice. I have already made mys muscle flashcards and think it's a pretty good way to study. (Although Tortora's is a bit pricey for me to buy just for the next two months. Any cheaper but still reputable medical books???)
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).

Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby Paradox21 » January 2nd, 2011, 10:01 am

-Ok. The Rules say that you can bring a double-sided page of notes. My mom takes this to mean handwritten only, but I believe (and hope) these can be typed. Does anyone think I will be penalized if I bring in typed notes???
Unless the rules specifically say handwritten notes only (which they do not) you can have the notes in any form you like. Typing your notes is a very good idea.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Postby AlphaTauri » January 2nd, 2011, 11:25 am

Unless the rules specifically say handwritten notes only (which they do not) you can have the notes in any form you like. Typing your notes is a very good idea.
Yes, notes can be typed -- in fact, you can include pictures, diagrams, graphic organizers, just about anything.

Also, it is very, very rare for SO to ask you to handwrite your notes (the only instance I can recall is Environmental Chem for the 2008-09 season).
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby Kokonilly » January 2nd, 2011, 11:44 am

P.S :Thanks 2jawedm for the helpful advice. I have already made mys muscle flashcards and think it's a pretty good way to study. (Although Tortora's is a bit pricey for me to buy just for the next two months. Any cheaper but still reputable medical books???)
You can get an anatomy coloring book (easily found on Amazon), Applied Anatomy & Physiology: A Case Study Approach, and many other books - those have been especially helpful to me though. It's really easy to find anatomy textbooks, especially if it's a class offered at your school (ask for a book from the teacher).
EDIT: What Paradox and Alpha said about note sheets. Find pictures online, type it up, do whatever so that you can cram in information - but remember the layout so that you don't spend all your time looking for stuff.

Return to “2011 Study Events”