Ornithology B/C

User avatar
tuftedtitmouse12
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: January 3rd, 2011, 12:26 pm
Division: Grad
State: -
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » May 18th, 2011, 2:46 pm

hmm, since im not from WI, i really don't know...try googling it..
peter, peter, peter

User avatar
Paleomaniac
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: April 11th, 2011, 4:10 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Preparing for Science Olympiad
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby Paleomaniac » May 19th, 2011, 4:00 pm

I'm in Wisconsin and I am not really seeing any birds in general so I was wondering what the chances of having live sepecimen were. What about previous nationals tests? I was wondering if they could ask about some bird that was common in Wisconsin but not included in our list? Anybody help! I am really nervous about this Saturday!!
2015 events: Experimental Design, Fossils, Technical Problem Solving
Event Experience: Ornithology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Anatomy, Storm the Castle, Remote Sensing, Thermodynamics, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Forensics, Anatomy and Physiology

User avatar
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 631
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 7:59 am
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: a dumpster
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby Kokonilly » May 19th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Paleomaniac wrote:I was wondering if they could ask about some bird that was common in Wisconsin but not included in our list?

I seriously doubt that they would include a bird not on the list. That seems faintly ridiculous for the national test.

User avatar
purplepeopleeater
Member
Member
Posts: 221
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 10:51 am
Division: C
State: TX
Location: on an adventure.
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby purplepeopleeater » May 19th, 2011, 10:15 pm

Paleomaniac wrote:I'm in Wisconsin and I am not really seeing any birds in general so I was wondering what the chances of having live sepecimen were. What about previous nationals tests? I was wondering if they could ask about some bird that was common in Wisconsin but not included in our list? Anybody help! I am really nervous about this Saturday!!

are you kidding me??? I'm here as well, and today i saw TONS and TONS and TONS of birds ... all of them on the list. :)
you do of course have the right to be nervous, i know im in that boat too.... >.<
just keep ur eyes and ears open, (definately ears, i HEARD tons!!!) :)
Good lUck and congrats! if u go to the festival tomorrow thats a good time to look, i think my team is tired of me pointing out birds... :?
No matter what the experiment's result, there will always be someone eager to:(a) misinterpret it(b) fake it, or (c) believe it supports his own pet theory.
2010 Nationals---
    3rd Model This, 17th Bio Process Lab, 27th Science Crime Busters

User avatar
tuftedtitmouse12
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: January 3rd, 2011, 12:26 pm
Division: Grad
State: -
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » May 20th, 2011, 7:05 am

oooooh! what birds?
peter, peter, peter

sciolygrl258
Member
Member
Posts: 61
Joined: February 28th, 2009, 10:12 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Somewhere in a corner sleeping Z.z
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby sciolygrl258 » May 20th, 2011, 9:48 pm

I saw a hawk sitting on one of the buildings and one of my team members saw a bald eagle last time he was in Madison.
PA STATES 2012:
Optics: 3rd
Experimental Design: 5th

Team: 1st!!!!! XDD

17 hr bus drive to Orlando? I think yes! ^o^

User avatar
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 631
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 7:59 am
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: a dumpster
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby Kokonilly » May 20th, 2011, 9:50 pm

We heard a red-winged blackbird and a warbling vireo at least already. :D

User avatar
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: March 7th, 2009, 7:14 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Turning and turning in the widening gyre
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby paleonaps » May 21st, 2011, 6:02 am

I haven't seen any birds yet... maybe that's a bad thing.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

User avatar
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 631
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 7:59 am
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: a dumpster
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby Kokonilly » May 21st, 2011, 10:58 pm

Haha, after all that effort and looking at those links you gave me, and a solid 2 weeks of preparation... 50th at nationals. :P C'est la vie.

User avatar
tuftedtitmouse12
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: January 3rd, 2011, 12:26 pm
Division: Grad
State: -
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » May 22nd, 2011, 12:51 pm

out of how many schools? thats still pretty good!
peter, peter, peter

User avatar
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 631
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 7:59 am
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: a dumpster
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby Kokonilly » May 22nd, 2011, 1:47 pm

60. :P

User avatar
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 606
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: SCAHS
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby amerikestrel » May 22nd, 2011, 3:31 pm

Kokonilly wrote:60. :P

What was the test like?
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14

User avatar
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 631
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 7:59 am
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: a dumpster
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby Kokonilly » May 22nd, 2011, 3:44 pm

amerikestrel wrote:
Kokonilly wrote:60. :P

What was the test like?

It was a set of 11 or so stations, each themed to something. There were about 6 stuffed specimens. It was pretty tough (the lady said that she looked at the nats test from last year and thought it was too easy, so she made it harder). Each station was 3.5 minutes long.

User avatar
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: March 7th, 2009, 7:14 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Turning and turning in the widening gyre
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby paleonaps » May 22nd, 2011, 3:44 pm

For C, HARD. Most of it was not identification- it was more like a test, with a certain bird used to illustrate a point. One station on Anatomy, one on Digestion, one on ID, another on ID, one on flight, one on ID, one on nests (matching column...lengthy nest description to bird....12 BIRDS), two on miscellany, and one on feathers... 7 vocalizations, and about 8 tie-breakers focusing on weird topics like the physics of flight to evolution of birds. The specimens were badly preserved birds, crammed into plastic tubes.
I got 13th. My partner and I did not finish the nesting stations- of about 15 questions total (including the matching), we answered three. That is what killed us.
From what I heard, the B test was extremely easy- ID then questions, well preserved, museum-quality mounted birds.
The Gelinas team did better than I did last year. It was a little bittersweet, but I'm happy for them.
Koko, it was ten stations, minus calls. BTW< it was awesome to meet you.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

User avatar
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 631
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 7:59 am
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: a dumpster
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby Kokonilly » May 22nd, 2011, 3:58 pm

paleonaps wrote:For C, HARD. Most of it was not identification- it was more like a test, with a certain bird used to illustrate a point. One station on Anatomy, one on Digestion, one on ID, another on ID, one on flight, one on ID, one on nests (matching column...lengthy nest description to bird....12 BIRDS), two on miscellany, and one on feathers... 7 vocalizations, and about 8 tie-breakers focusing on weird topics like the physics of flight to evolution of birds. The specimens were badly preserved birds, crammed into plastic tubes.
I got 13th. My partner and I did not finish the nesting stations- of about 15 questions total (including the matching), we answered three. That is what killed us.
From what I heard, the B test was extremely easy- ID then questions, well preserved, museum-quality mounted birds.
The Gelinas team did better than I did last year. It was a little bittersweet, but I'm happy for them.
Koko, it was ten stations, minus calls. BTW< it was awesome to meet you.

Much more eloquently put. I can't quite remember much from that day. And the specimens were so hard to look at!
I didn't find the calls very difficult, but we didn't finish a single station - not enough practice, I guess. And yeah, it was cool to meet you too.


Return to “2011 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests