Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Skink »

paleonaps wrote:
aubrey048 wrote:When I did it the whole test was basically identifying the birds by picture. No questions on behavior or morphology. Is this unusual?
That's incredibly unusual. Nothing other than ID?
Has to be an exaggeration. The rules state that no more than 50% of the test can be ID.
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by amerikestrel »

Skink wrote:
paleonaps wrote:
aubrey048 wrote:When I did it the whole test was basically identifying the birds by picture. No questions on behavior or morphology. Is this unusual?
That's incredibly unusual. Nothing other than ID?
Has to be an exaggeration. The rules state that no more than 50% of the test can be ID.
It doesn't have to be an exaggeration. Sometimes test makers don't read the rules carefully, or they don't read them at all. It's unfortunate, but it happens. The best we can do is to prepare for anything that comes up.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

amerikestrel wrote:
Skink wrote: Has to be an exaggeration. The rules state that no more than 50% of the test can be ID.
It doesn't have to be an exaggeration. Sometimes test makers don't read the rules carefully, or they don't read them at all. It's unfortunate, but it happens. The best we can do is to prepare for anything that comes up.
I assure you all, I was not exaggerating in the least. My region was also a bit . . . iffy, rules-wise with Anatomy, and I have heard similar accounts for the other study events. I really wish they would care/pay more attention. *sigh*
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by kjhsscioly »

Regionals are usually proctored by coaches, so they probably don't know much about the topic. It is almost a certainty that there will be other stuff at state.
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

Ours are proctored by professors. Every event. Every single one. The professors know a lot about the topic, but not about the SO rules. Sadly.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
XXGeneration
State: NJ

Post by XXGeneration »

Ugh we just had our NJ states today;

The projector projecting the images was malfunctioning, and tinted everything orange. They tested us on calls that weren't on the list, like Turkey Vulture and Eastern Towhee. There were barely any questions about life style; most of it was ID by [orange-tinted] picture, or by call. It was pretty horribly organized.

I got 5th T-T
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

That is pretty awful, I am sorry you were in such a bad competition...

ID is a bad judge of ability, because it easy to memorize birds, but much harder to know things about them.
XXGeneration
State: NJ

Post by XXGeneration »

Yeah, all the info I painstakingly put into my field guide like diet, nesting, clutch size, incubation time...etc. wasn't used whatsoever.

I could've taken the test without my field guide, because the questions were that easy.
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

Our invites looked like that... super easy IDs (think roseate spoonbill), and the questions were things you might learn in biology, like what class a bird was in, or if they were oviparous or viviparous
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

aubrey048 wrote:The professors know a lot about the topic, but not about the SO rules. Sadly.
That's why I always hand them a copy of the rules. Some say they have it already, and I've had others read it and pick up on a thing or two.
kjhsscioly wrote:ID is a bad judge of ability, because it easy to memorize birds, but much harder to know things about them.
Hit the nail on the head. On the other hand...I don't appreciate questions like one from last year's invitational asking about a specific disease you've never heard of that afflicted the species at that station. Obscure facts like that give competitive advantage to the team that wrote the test. I mean, it's fair game, but, at the same time, it kind of isn't. If that makes any sense...
XXGeneration wrote:I could've taken the test without my field guide, because the questions were that easy.
Hm? Four teams beat you. Was this one of those times where the scores were all within a few points of each other?
kjhsscioly wrote:Our invites looked like that... super easy IDs (think roseate spoonbill), and the questions were things you might learn in biology, like what class a bird was in, or if they were oviparous or viviparous
I hope you're not talking about CLC invitational...because that was poor.

Return to “2011 Study Events”