Ornithology B/C

tuftedtitmouse12
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

flashcards help with ID, hmm, i think you should spend some time learning how to flip through your field guides and using your cheat sheets and stuff...i mean, whats the point of having all the resources if you don't know how to use them?
peter, peter, peter
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by amerikestrel »

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:flashcards help with ID, hmm, i think you should spend some time learning how to flip through your field guides and using your cheat sheets and stuff...i mean, whats the point of having all the resources if you don't know how to use them?
Agree. Koko, one of the best things you can do is to be extremely efficient with your field guide. This is especially true if you're not as familiar with the birds. You should be able to flip it open to any species within 20 seconds.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

amerikestrel wrote:
tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:flashcards help with ID, hmm, i think you should spend some time learning how to flip through your field guides and using your cheat sheets and stuff...i mean, whats the point of having all the resources if you don't know how to use them?
Agree. Koko, one of the best things you can do is to be extremely efficient with your field guide. This is especially true if you're not as familiar with the birds. You should be able to flip it open to any species within 20 seconds.
Yes, I think that seems to be in order. We leave in three days... :shock:
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'm really nervous.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

Teal wrote:Haha, everyone on here is probably 10000x better at Ornithology than me, so I thought you guys knew! You know, being super smart and all that.

If it's not working for you, I'll do a walkthrough:
- You decide to find a sound for the Belted Kingfisher, although it's one of the easier calls, but still.
- Now, if you're going to use Macaulay Library, then make sure to go here and change the type of player to QT Player. Otherwise, it won't work.
- Go back to the page that has the bird call.
- Right click to view source. This is what the page for the Belted king fisher should look like: view-source:http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/6562
- Search in the page (usually, this is Ctrl + F) for ".mp3"
- You should find a link that looks something like this: http://mlaudio.ornith.cornell.edu/0/6562.mp3
- Copy and paste, and enter that into your address bar, and save it to whereever you want to!

Depending on what website or type of player is on the page, the link might be scrambled and mixed with other strings of code. Test out the link before you save.

* EDIT - You can use the Flash Player, too. It should work the same way.
koko - do this. I down loaded all the bird calls for the Georgia list this way. It was amazing.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

rfscoach wrote:
Teal wrote:Haha, everyone on here is probably 10000x better at Ornithology than me, so I thought you guys knew! You know, being super smart and all that.

If it's not working for you, I'll do a walkthrough:
- You decide to find a sound for the Belted Kingfisher, although it's one of the easier calls, but still.
- Now, if you're going to use Macaulay Library, then make sure to go here and change the type of player to QT Player. Otherwise, it won't work.
- Go back to the page that has the bird call.
- Right click to view source. This is what the page for the Belted king fisher should look like: view-source:http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/6562
- Search in the page (usually, this is Ctrl + F) for ".mp3"
- You should find a link that looks something like this: http://mlaudio.ornith.cornell.edu/0/6562.mp3
- Copy and paste, and enter that into your address bar, and save it to whereever you want to!

Depending on what website or type of player is on the page, the link might be scrambled and mixed with other strings of code. Test out the link before you save.

* EDIT - You can use the Flash Player, too. It should work the same way.
koko - do this. I down loaded all the bird calls for the Georgia list this way. It was amazing.
Wow, thanks!
scientist
State: IL

Post by scientist »

Use the I-Bird App. It's good for everything including calls. Really worth buying.
Saw a Scarlet tananger and an oven bird :D :D
sciencegeek100

Post by sciencegeek100 »

scientist wrote:Use the I-Bird App. It's good for everything including calls. Really worth buying.
Saw a Scarlet tananger and an oven bird :D :D
where?? can I see them in Wisconsin when I get their mid wednesday or thursday

yep, i am coming for nats

state CA champ for thing too :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

sciencegeek, maybe you could...i mean, since scientist and i are pretty dang near wisconsin, were like in suburbs of chicago, so it's pretty close to madison...not guaranteed though
peter, peter, peter
sciencegeek100

Post by sciencegeek100 »

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:sciencegeek, maybe you could...i mean, since scientist and i are pretty dang near wisconsin, were like in suburbs of chicago, so it's pretty close to madison...not guaranteed though
where do suggest I go to see birds in Wisconsin near Madison, I want to boost my life list... 208
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)
Frogger4907
State: KS

Post by Frogger4907 »

sciencegeek100 wrote:
tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:sciencegeek, maybe you could...i mean, since scientist and i are pretty dang near wisconsin, were like in suburbs of chicago, so it's pretty close to madison...not guaranteed though
where do suggest I go to see birds in Wisconsin near Madison, I want to boost my life list... 208
You don't go to Wisconsin to boost your life list.
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
20 Div C State Medals

Return to “2011 Study Events”