Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by kjhsscioly »

chia wrote:...boy, now I almost wish I had an itouch.
kjhsscioly, we did buy a copy of sibley's last year, right?
umm... no, we used the school library one. We should get one this year, because the tabs are limited to three words.
chia

Post by chia »

wait. i knew that.
... but we should. and also actually buy a copy of whatever other book we end up choosing, instead of a library copy.

to anyone in general, is it really necessary to tab every bird (that's pretty much what we did last year)? I know every second counts and all, but...?
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

I have to say, yeah it was. Remember how long it took me to find birds that weren't tabbed...
Brucester
Division: B
State: PA

Post by Brucester »

I will never understand tabbing ever bird, it's extremely time consuming and provides no advantage. I can't find a bird in all those tabs faster than I can look up the word "crane" or "hawk" in the front index and find it. I find it easier to become very familiar with the book and have good communication between partners versus wasting time tabbing it.
2011 Nationals:
3rd - Bottle Rockets
7th - Storm the Castle
7th - Towers
22nd - Experimental Design
chia

Post by chia »

see, that's what I was thinking. Last year we pretty much just had the book and that was that. I for one didn't look through it much (but maybe that's because kjhsscioly always had it)
hey, maybe that's another advantage of being able to use two books - each partner could always have one of the books to study with!
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

We used the book very little, only for females and such, what got us were the background stuff
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

y did they let us have 2 field guides if this is the second year...not that i hate it, i actually like it, im just curious... :lol: :lol: :lol:
peter, peter, peter
courage7856

Post by courage7856 »

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:y did they let us have 2 field guides if this is the second year...not that i hate it, i actually like it, im just curious... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't know either, but I wish we could get a binder like with fossils. There is just so much that we're supposed to know about every bird. It would be nice to have all of that room to have stuff.
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

courage7856 wrote:
tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:y did they let us have 2 field guides if this is the second year...not that i hate it, i actually like it, im just curious... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't know either, but I wish we could get a binder like with fossils. There is just so much that we're supposed to know about every bird. It would be nice to have all of that room to have stuff.
but it would be soo hard and take soo long to flip through them....books are just fine, and you can tab them, but i don't really need to...just need to know where the birds are, and at the bottom of peterson, they are color-coded and labeled for you!!! yay!!! binders WOULD be helpful, maybe somewhat unnecessary, but at least we get to take in TWO field guides, TWO sheets of paper, AND the bird list!!! the bird list kinda helps..with the bird calls at least...me and my partner are not so good at calls...so we get mixed up...btw, for the bird list, can you write on it?? like highlight it, jote down stuff and scibble all over it?? because that's wat we did... :oops: :oops: :oops:
peter, peter, peter
junexia
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by junexia »

yes, you can write on it. on the rules it says notes containing information in any form, which means typed or handwritten.

just curious, since we can have two field guides this year, where are most of you getting it from? i bought my own last year, but i dont really want to spend another twenty or thirty dollars buying another one, and i haven't really talked to the other people doing this event about getting a field guide. even though buying another book would be a great help, im not sure if i should since i already have a lot of information in my first field guide, so do all of you buy both by yourself or do you split up the cost with the other people on your team?
Events for 2011:
Ornithology <3, Fossils, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Dynamic Planet

Return to “2011 Study Events”