Ornithology B/C

chia
Division: Grad
State: IL

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby chia » April 3rd, 2011, 8:14 am

The nationals list doesn't have the Chipp(p)ing sparrow either.
Heh... I know the black-capped chickadee as well as the others for some reason, even though it's not on the nationals list.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

tuftedtitmouse12

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » April 3rd, 2011, 12:33 pm

its a common bird...'specially up here in IL... here them all the time up here...and rite now as i am typing this too!
peter, peter, peter

cheepcheep
Division: C
State: KS

Postby cheepcheep » April 3rd, 2011, 9:03 pm

Hi everyone! Just a quick question. Do any of you guys know the difference between the National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America and National Geographic Complete Birds of North America? Which one would you recommend? We've been using the Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds paired with the Peterson's Field Guide. While it's taken us pretty far, the Audubon Field Guide is pretty much hit-or-miss when it comes to information. Plus, it doesn't have around 10 of the birds on our list. So if anyone has any suggestions about which field guide I can replace it with, I will be really grateful! I've looked at the Ornithology wiki page and am leaning towards the National Geographic one(s) (hence my first question) but any feedback would be great! I just want one with more information on distinctive behaviors while including the nesting, eggs, habitat, and interesting information that Audubon has.
P.S. While I'm at it, how is the Smithsonian guide?

Sorry for the wall of text D;

kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby kjhsscioly » April 3rd, 2011, 10:36 pm

just a short briefing on books:

NG field guide: short descriptions, range maps, with text on one side and birds on the other. Good for ID, but sometimes hard to follow. Medium amount of info, but it is a light field guide.

NG complete birds: Much more comprehensive in terms of info, I think each bird has half or a third of a page, with a full paragraph or two on each bird and a page on each family at the beginning of each section. http://www.pointsinfocus.com/2009/06/re ... h-america/

Sibleys field guide: laid out in an easy to follow, columnar format, but skimpy on information. Be wary with scientific names, they like to used molecular based classifications, which shows different phylogeny from other books. http://www.pointsinfocus.com/2009/04/a- ... -to-birds/

Sibley's bird life and behaviour: Lots of text info about behaviour, breeding, nesting, physiology, etc. Not good for ID, but great for info based questions.
Petersons: Guarantee that all birds are there, laid out like NG, but again, low on info, http://www.pointsinfocus.com/2010/06/th ... -behavior/

DK (vuilleumier): Very comprehensive, each bird has its own page and it is only missing one bird. Great pictures, and all juveniles and females shown. http://us.dk.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0, ... 83,00.html

I know there are others, like stokes, but I dont know much about it. Also, I found this chart comparing NG to sibley's : http://www.pointsinfocus.com/wp-content ... struct.pdf

On to my recommendations: between the two, go with the complete birds of NA, because we aren't limited to field guides. There is no reason to not take the info when you can. Also, for the second, choose a less ID focused book, like sibleys BLB. We use DK and sibley's BLB together, which has worked pretty well.

Frogger4907

Postby Frogger4907 » April 4th, 2011, 10:44 am

Hi everyone! Just a quick question. Do any of you guys know the difference between the National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America and National Geographic Complete Birds of North America? Which one would you recommend? We've been using the Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds paired with the Peterson's Field Guide. While it's taken us pretty far, the Audubon Field Guide is pretty much hit-or-miss when it comes to information. Plus, it doesn't have around 10 of the birds on our list. So if anyone has any suggestions about which field guide I can replace it with, I will be really grateful! I've looked at the Ornithology wiki page and am leaning towards the National Geographic one(s) (hence my first question) but any feedback would be great! I just want one with more information on distinctive behaviors while including the nesting, eggs, habitat, and interesting information that Audubon has.
P.S. While I'm at it, how is the Smithsonian guide?

Sorry for the wall of text D;
Are you from Olathe East? Because this event is over for everyone else in the state... I could help you if you want, we want a good showing from KS at Nationals...
State: 1st overall Thermodynamics lab

cheepcheep

Postby cheepcheep » April 4th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Haha yeah I'm from Olathe East. Wow really? THANKS A LOT. We have a lot of things we need to learn before May 21st ><

P.S. I think we met you during Helicopters! You were the one who told us the answer to one of the questions right? Yeah, that's when we realized how godly you guys are and that we had no chance of placing first overall in Ornithology xD

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby paleonaps » April 4th, 2011, 2:24 pm

Back to Ornithology...I like your username.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

cheepcheep

Postby cheepcheep » April 4th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Right. And thanks!

@kjs: Wohooo! I didn't see your post. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. From what you've said, I guess I'll use the NG's complete edition then. And we have to keep Peterson because my partner refuses to part with that book xD I'll probably buy/check out Sibley's bird behavior book and write down missing info on the NG margins. Hopefully it'll work out!
-
One last question, does NG's complete edition include all the birds on the National list?

FueL

Postby FueL » April 4th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Right. And thanks!

@kjs: Wohooo! I didn't see your post. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. From what you've said, I guess I'll use the NG's complete edition then. And we have to keep Peterson because my partner refuses to part with that book xD I'll probably buy/check out Sibley's bird behavior book and write down missing info on the NG margins. Hopefully it'll work out!
-
One last question, does NG's complete edition include all the birds on the National list?
I suggest not using the National Geographic and the Peterson together, because both of them are ID books. You might need one that has habitat/nesting/behavior info.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby paleonaps » April 4th, 2011, 3:39 pm

I hate ID books. I memorize ID, then look up info.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

Return to “2011 Study Events”