Ornithology B/C

austinfhs
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby austinfhs » December 20th, 2010, 10:27 am

Indiana gets binders...but when it comes down to it, you just have to know the info because it takes too long to go binder searching.

i find the iPhone/iPod apps by Peterson to be very helpful in learning the calls of birds. i used those last year and never missed a call on a test.
Which iPod app are you using? I can only seem to find the ones for Backyard Birds, Birds of Prey, and Warblers. Did you get all 3?

ajwilliams2011
State: IN

Postby ajwilliams2011 » December 20th, 2010, 12:30 pm

Indiana gets binders...but when it comes down to it, you just have to know the info because it takes too long to go binder searching.

i find the iPhone/iPod apps by Peterson to be very helpful in learning the calls of birds. i used those last year and never missed a call on a test.
Which iPod app are you using? I can only seem to find the ones for Backyard Birds, Birds of Prey, and Warblers. Did you get all 3?
I got Backyard and Birds of prey. they cover almost all of the birds on my states lists.
2010-2011 Events: Protein Modeling, Disease Detectives, Ornithology, Ecology, and Experimental Design.

dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Postby dudeincolorado » December 20th, 2010, 2:56 pm

Hi!
So I got put in this event last week and I'm expected to compete in this at regionals (March) any suggestions on where to start? I have a few guide books, and a strong determination but thats about it.
SO stressed!

psychodragon_98
Division: B
State: OH

Postby psychodragon_98 » December 20th, 2010, 3:07 pm

memorizing the family and oorder is my job in my group, how many people are you working with in this?
ImageImageImageImageImage
click the eggs/hatchlings so they grow!!!

New NIHF-STEM Middle School

ORNITHOLOGY
CRIME BUSTERS
MICROBE MISSION
BATTERY BUGGY

purplepeopleeater
State: TX

Postby purplepeopleeater » December 20th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Suggestions....
well.... know your birds!! :) actually, if you don't know the bird, atleast know the family so you narrow everything down... um. NEVER leave anything blank Esp. for sounds. and study hard!!!! :)
No matter what the experiment's result, there will always be someone eager to:(a) misinterpret it(b) fake it, or (c) believe it supports his own pet theory.
2010 Nationals---
  • 3rd Model This, 17th Bio Process Lab, 27th Science Crime Busters

amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby amerikestrel » December 20th, 2010, 5:14 pm

memorizing the family and oorder is my job in my group, how many people are you working with in this?
It's two people per team.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14

kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL

Postby kjhsscioly » December 20th, 2010, 5:35 pm

Does your team generally work in groups? If so, that's a bit dangerous, since only two can compete, and you might have gaps in your knowledge

purplepeopleeater
State: TX

Postby purplepeopleeater » December 20th, 2010, 5:40 pm

agreed, Orno is a heavy memorization event, seeing how (for TX) its usually in 2 min. stations with like, 5 or so (tons) of questions, and if you don't immediately know the bird, a book won't help.
i know when we study our A and B study together, but between the two partners, we usually split like-- you do the front, i will do the back (id and sounds) and then everything else, we both need to know...
No matter what the experiment's result, there will always be someone eager to:(a) misinterpret it(b) fake it, or (c) believe it supports his own pet theory.
2010 Nationals---
  • 3rd Model This, 17th Bio Process Lab, 27th Science Crime Busters

austinfhs
State: CA

Postby austinfhs » December 20th, 2010, 6:29 pm

Why memorize the order and family if you can bring the National Bird List? Just wondering, haha

What I'm doing is having my partner and I both cover everything. That way there should be no gaps, hopefully. It's time consuming, but it should work ...

kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL

Postby kjhsscioly » December 20th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Because knowing the order and family straight off will leave you station time to look up additional info, which you will need

Return to “2011 Study Events”