Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Ornithology B/C

Postby paleonaps » March 22nd, 2011, 12:17 pm

It doesn't work for me...
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

Teal
Division: C
State: WA

Postby Teal » March 22nd, 2011, 3:01 pm

Haha, everyone on here is probably 10000x better at Ornithology than me, so I thought you guys knew! You know, being super smart and all that.

If it's not working for you, I'll do a walkthrough:
- You decide to find a sound for the Belted Kingfisher, although it's one of the easier calls, but still.
- Now, if you're going to use Macaulay Library, then make sure to go here and change the type of player to QT Player. Otherwise, it won't work.
- Go back to the page that has the bird call.
- Right click to view source. This is what the page for the Belted king fisher should look like: view-source:http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/6562
- Search in the page (usually, this is Ctrl + F) for ".mp3"
- You should find a link that looks something like this: http://mlaudio.ornith.cornell.edu/0/6562.mp3
- Copy and paste, and enter that into your address bar, and save it to whereever you want to!

Depending on what website or type of player is on the page, the link might be scrambled and mixed with other strings of code. Test out the link before you save.

* EDIT - You can use the Flash Player, too. It should work the same way.
high school: birds, trees, widi, expdes, mousetrap, gravity
from the evergreen state to the farm, '17!

tuftedtitmouse12

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » March 22nd, 2011, 5:38 pm

uh.....to lazy to send a clarification and still muddled on how.....but im just wondering...can you like tape things into your field guide?? lets say like bird egg pics...???
peter, peter, peter

FueL

Postby FueL » March 22nd, 2011, 5:41 pm

uh.....to lazy to send a clarification and still muddled on how.....but im just wondering...can you like tape things into your field guide?? lets say like bird egg pics...???
No, you can't.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

tuftedtitmouse12

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » March 22nd, 2011, 5:45 pm

darn..then wat bout post it notes???
peter, peter, peter

FueL

Postby FueL » March 22nd, 2011, 5:50 pm

Don't think you can, they're only for tabbing purposes. You can hand write directly in your guide though.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

tuftedtitmouse12

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » March 22nd, 2011, 5:52 pm

but bird egg pics???
peter, peter, peter

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Postby rfscoach » March 22nd, 2011, 5:59 pm

Haha, everyone on here is probably 10000x better at Ornithology than me, so I thought you guys knew! You know, being super smart and all that.

If it's not working for you, I'll do a walkthrough:
- You decide to find a sound for the Belted Kingfisher, although it's one of the easier calls, but still.
- Now, if you're going to use Macaulay Library, then make sure to go here and change the type of player to QT Player. Otherwise, it won't work.
- Go back to the page that has the bird call.
- Right click to view source. This is what the page for the Belted king fisher should look like: view-source:http://macaulaylibrary.org/audio/6562
- Search in the page (usually, this is Ctrl + F) for ".mp3"
- You should find a link that looks something like this: http://mlaudio.ornith.cornell.edu/0/6562.mp3
- Copy and paste, and enter that into your address bar, and save it to whereever you want to!

Depending on what website or type of player is on the page, the link might be scrambled and mixed with other strings of code. Test out the link before you save.

* EDIT - You can use the Flash Player, too. It should work the same way.
Awesome. thank you!
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

FueL

Postby FueL » March 22nd, 2011, 6:01 pm

No. XD Unless you want to hand draw them yourself. You could also get a field guide that includes egg descriptions (there are many out there), or buy an egg ID book.

tuftedtitmouse12

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » March 22nd, 2011, 6:06 pm

uh....almost broke... :cry: :cry: well, my partner is a dang good artist...just prety sure she's not gonna finish all 184 birds..with their egg and nest pictures.... :roll: great.....now what do i do??? fuel, are you sure that post it notes are not allowed????
peter, peter, peter

Return to “2011 Study Events”