Preliminary:Water Quality

anatomy
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Water Quality

Post by anatomy »

wait, does anybody know any good resources that would help in studying for water quality? :D
never underestimate the power of anatomy
hehehe

2012 regionals: anatomy: 1st forestry: 1st microbe mission 4th
2012 states: anatomy: 3rd forestry: 4th crimebusters: 3rd microbe mission 8th
quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

_anatomy_ wrote:wait, does anybody know any good resources that would help in studying for water quality? :D
The internet! Wikipedia! Check your local water board for more resources
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
anatomy
State: PA

Post by anatomy »

wait
can i actually use those rules
How long ago was water quality an event?
wait so will i also have to know individual macro invertebrates
never underestimate the power of anatomy
hehehe

2012 regionals: anatomy: 1st forestry: 1st microbe mission 4th
2012 states: anatomy: 3rd forestry: 4th crimebusters: 3rd microbe mission 8th
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

_anatomy_ wrote:wait
can i actually use those rules
How long ago was water quality an event?
wait so will i also have to know individual macro invertebrates
Water Quality was last an event in B in 2006. If you recall, chalker stated that those rules are not 100% accurate of the event coming next year. If I were you, I'd use the rules as a reference for the testing portion (remediation, standards, quality, etc.). It isn't finalized if there is actual macroinvertebrate identification, so I wouldn't start on that. It might be beneficial to start looking into the salinometer.
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

Just a small update on the salinometer I started to work on:
- I built the simple clay-and-straw version. It works well, but in my opinion its a bit inaccurate. It wobbles considerably, and its often difficult to read.
- I started fooling around with an electric salinometer - basically, I'm using a 9volt battery to power it, and placed two leads of the wire into the water. I attached an ammeter into the circuit, and after some testing, found that it is very, very accurate. The only problem I found is that the temperature of the water greatly affects the current carrying capacity. I wouldn't be so sure of using this at competition unless I've taken readings and measurements for almost all possible temperatures.
- Just a suggestion to anyone planning on building - the clay-and-straw version is often too light, per se, and in certain concentrations it barely stays below the water. A good tip is to add some lead shots inside the straw and sealing it with clay.
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

quizbowl wrote:Just a small update on the salinometer I started to work on:
- I built the simple clay-and-straw version. It works well, but in my opinion its a bit inaccurate. It wobbles considerably, and its often difficult to read.
- I started fooling around with an electric salinometer - basically, I'm using a 9volt battery to power it, and placed two leads of the wire into the water. I attached an ammeter into the circuit, and after some testing, found that it is very, very accurate. The only problem I found is that the temperature of the water greatly affects the current carrying capacity. I wouldn't be so sure of using this at competition unless I've taken readings and measurements for almost all possible temperatures.
- Just a suggestion to anyone planning on building - the clay-and-straw version is often too light, per se, and in certain concentrations it barely stays below the water. A good tip is to add some lead shots inside the straw and sealing it with clay.
I think a straw is too light, you should use a glass rod instead.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

gneissisnice wrote:
quizbowl wrote:Just a small update on the salinometer I started to work on:
I think a straw is too light, you should use a glass rod instead.
I did try a glass rod. It might have just been too large, or I didn't calibrate it right, but it would need a pretty hefty amount of water and a high concentration of salts to float.
purplepeopleeater
Division: C
State: TX

Post by purplepeopleeater »

actually pretty excited for this event (as well as R&M and Forestry)
It doesn't look too complicated :) in fact, my brother wants to be an entomologist so he is CONSTANTLY going on about all the larvae and ID, so SEEN IT! and Water testing (section 3 of the 2006 rules) -- i went a LITTLE over board with that on Sci Cri in 2010 (I FREAKED so i have PILES of info on that) and i've done it before.
as for section 1 COOL! :) I hope this event does go through and that i get to compete in this .. next step: salinometer and hydrometer
thanks for posting the example gneissisnice.
No matter what the experiment's result, there will always be someone eager to:(a) misinterpret it(b) fake it, or (c) believe it supports his own pet theory.
2010 Nationals---
  • 3rd Model This, 17th Bio Process Lab, 27th Science Crime Busters
geekychic13
State: IL

Post by geekychic13 »

I think that you shouldn't dedicate an entire event to water. There is no need. Water is one of the parts studied in the ecology event. In my state competition, there was six timed stations, and one was dedicated entirely to water.
It seems that they are taking out all the good events this year (ornithology, fossils, ECOLOGY,...)
I know some people may not agree with me, and may like staring at water better than studying the broad subject of ecology(jk, jk), so sry if I caused any offense, but I'd like it if maybe they shouldn't take out one of the more popular events and replace it with an event that is less liked. But since I can't change it, I might as well embrace it. So i have questions about it. Note: I know nothing at all about it, but I'm gonna do it because there's nothing else left...:( So,
1: Do we get a double-sided page of notes or a binder?
2: Do we get to use a calculator?
3: Where are some good sites for learning about this?
Note #2: I epically failed the water part in my state event.... Maybe I shouldn't do this event after all :D ...
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

geekychic13 wrote:I think that you shouldn't dedicate an entire event to water. There is no need. Water is one of the parts studied in the ecology event. In my state competition, there was six timed stations, and one was dedicated entirely to water.
It seems that they are taking out all the good events this year (ornithology, fossils, ECOLOGY,...)
I know some people may not agree with me, and may like staring at water better than studying the broad subject of ecology(jk, jk), so sry if I caused any offense, but I'd like it if maybe they shouldn't take out one of the more popular events and replace it with an event that is less liked. But since I can't change it, I might as well embrace it. So i have questions about it. Note: I know nothing at all about it, but I'm gonna do it because there's nothing else left...:( So,
1: Do we get a double-sided page of notes or a binder?
2: Do we get to use a calculator?
3: Where are some good sites for learning about this?
Note #2: I epically failed the water part in my state event.... Maybe I shouldn't do this event after all :D ...
Water Quality actually precedes Ecology by quite a bit; Ecology was introduced when I was in 10th grade (4 years ago), it was Water Quality prior that. So if anything, Ecology's the usurper.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Return to “2011 Study Events”