Preliminary:Water Quality

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Re: Preliminary:Water Quality

Post by rfscoach »

geekychic13 wrote:I think that you shouldn't dedicate an entire event to water. There is no need. Water is one of the parts studied in the ecology event. In my state competition, there was six timed stations, and one was dedicated entirely to water.
It seems that they are taking out all the good events this year (ornithology, fossils, ECOLOGY,...)
I know some people may not agree with me, and may like staring at water better than studying the broad subject of ecology(jk, jk), so sry if I caused any offense, but I'd like it if maybe they shouldn't take out one of the more popular events and replace it with an event that is less liked. But since I can't change it, I might as well embrace it. So i have questions about it. Note: I know nothing at all about it, but I'm gonna do it because there's nothing else left...:( So,
1: Do we get a double-sided page of notes or a binder?
2: Do we get to use a calculator?
3: Where are some good sites for learning about this?
Note #2: I epically failed the water part in my state event.... Maybe I shouldn't do this event after all :D ...
Answer to 1, 2 and 3 - we really won't know until the rules are released in September. In a couple weeks some of your coaches may have access to the draft rules from the Summer Institute, but even those have been known to change by the time the rule books come out.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by quizbowl »

More on my salinometer quests! (Mind you, I'm working in a summer camp, so I don't get a lot of free time, but this is what I worked on.)
I tried this new method of what I call "bottle buoyancy". (I can't really explain this - I just watched this video and made something similar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wfL1kVtmvM)
I calculated the flow rates for several different salinities, and most results came out to be pretty similar in the time it took for the bottle to fall. I kinda found a relationship of my own, and I was able to get pretty close for a random salinity! It does look like a swell design, but a few results were a bit skewed, plus I'm not sure if judges would allow us to bring in stopwatches.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
geekychic13
State: IL

Post by geekychic13 »

rfscoach wrote:
geekychic13 wrote:I think that you shouldn't dedicate an entire event to water. There is no need. Water is one of the parts studied in the ecology event. In my state competition, there was six timed stations, and one was dedicated entirely to water.
It seems that they are taking out all the good events this year (ornithology, fossils, ECOLOGY,...)
I know some people may not agree with me, and may like staring at water better than studying the broad subject of ecology(jk, jk), so sry if I caused any offense, but I'd like it if maybe they shouldn't take out one of the more popular events and replace it with an event that is less liked. But since I can't change it, I might as well embrace it. So i have questions about it. Note: I know nothing at all about it, but I'm gonna do it because there's nothing else left...:( So,
1: Do we get a double-sided page of notes or a binder?
2: Do we get to use a calculator?
3: Where are some good sites for learning about this?
Note #2: I epically failed the water part in my state event.... Maybe I shouldn't do this event after all :D ...
Answer to 1, 2 and 3 - we really won't know until the rules are released in September. In a couple weeks some of your coaches may have access to the draft rules from the Summer Institute, but even those have been known to change by the time the rule books come out.
thanks
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay
purplepeopleeater
Division: C
State: TX

Post by purplepeopleeater »

YAY! im actually super excited for this event!!
(rumor is there are a few people that arent... ) >.> bummer.
No matter what the experiment's result, there will always be someone eager to:(a) misinterpret it(b) fake it, or (c) believe it supports his own pet theory.
2010 Nationals---
  • 3rd Model This, 17th Bio Process Lab, 27th Science Crime Busters
abator
State: OH

Post by abator »

I like this event but I won't be able to do this event because I already have too many events. But since I am the only one on my team to have done this event before I will most likely have to help them. *sigh*
Placement: Gold: 13 Silver: 4 Bronze: 6 4th: 5 5th: 9 6th: 5 7th: 2 8th: 3
Team Captain 8-)
sparky007
State: OH

Post by sparky007 »

So what does- ecology of an organism really mean? It says in Division C we need to know "general ecology ... of all listed organisms"
X_X

--sparky
2012 EVENTS
R&M!
Thermo Lab!
Sounds of Mooooosic!
Chem Lab!
Anatomy!
Water Quality!
Gravity Vehicle!
WOOOOOOOOOOOO :D :D :D :D D :D
dustykingwood

Post by dustykingwood »

Haha most people hated ecology on my team. My friend needs a partner for this and now I'm stuck into it. I cross my fingers CJAP will help me with this considering Ph testing we had to do frequently. Our tutor made us work like crazy. Hope something I learned is going to be put to use in this. :D
^.^ Chloe "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Dr. Seuss
dustykingwood

Post by dustykingwood »

sparky007 wrote:So what does- ecology of an organism really mean? It says in Division C we need to know "general ecology ... of all listed organisms"
X_X

--sparky
Are you from Solan?
Congrats if you are. Major jealous here :lol:
^.^ Chloe "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Dr. Seuss
quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

sparky007 wrote:So what does- ecology of an organism really mean? It says in Division C we need to know "general ecology ... of all listed organisms"
X_X

--sparky
Probably the niches and habitats of each organism. However, those were old rules - the new rules come out when school starts, so use them as a guide instead.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
geekychic13
State: IL

Post by geekychic13 »

very sad announcement: i am no longer doing this event, since im already doing crime busters, disease detectives, optics, anatomy, and possibly a building event. :cry:
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay

Return to “2011 Study Events”