Preliminary:Water Quality

User avatar
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 927
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 9:10 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Long Island
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Water Quality

Post by gneissisnice » May 19th, 2011, 3:13 pm

So I was just digging through my piano bench to see if I had any interesting music, and for some reason, I discovered an old practice Water Quality exam. I have no idea how to actually scan it and put it up online, but thankfully, it's short so I'll just post the questions here.

1) A water sample with a pH of 2 is considered to be:
a) basic b) acidic c) neutral d) perfect for aquatic life

2) T/F: The pH of natural water falls between 9 and 14.

3) Compare the color of the sample of the pH color chart. Record the result of pH (obviously I don't have a sample right now, but it's just asking to determine pH of a sample)

4) Is this result poor, good, or excellent?

5) The test for turbidity describes the :
a) odor of water b) mineral concentration of water c) suspended material in water d) metal concentration in water

6) (Turbidity test with sample). Record the result in JTU.

7) Does the result indicate good or poor conditions?

8)What does JTU stand for?

9) Briefly define the terms "watershed", "point source" and "nonpoint source" (three questions).

10) Match the definitions with the terms in teh word bank below (Im not gonna put up the entire thing, it's just the water cycle).

11) Definte the term "invasive species"

12) To what region are Zebra mussels native?

13) What process may be defined as the wearing away of the earth's surface? (there's more, but it's really long and irrelevant).

14) T/F Contour and terracing are two farming methods that be used to prevent erosion.

A) Identify the following macroinvertebrates using common names (I obviously don't have pictures, so here are the answers to this section, assuming I got them all right. They are almost all larvae).
Mayfly, Caddisfly, Stonefly, Dobsonfly, Damselfly, Dragonfly, Scud, Cranefly, Midge, Blackfly, Gilled Snail, Whirligig Beeter, Water Strider, Mosquito, Giant Water Bug.

Hope that helps. I didn't put the answers in case someone wanted to figure them out, but I have them if you wanna know.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

User avatar
quizbowl
Member
Member
Posts: 1044
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 3:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Syosset High, WLI, NY --> UChicago '16
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Water Quality

Post by quizbowl » May 19th, 2011, 3:18 pm

gneissisnice wrote:So I was just digging through my piano bench to see if I had any interesting music, and for some reason, I discovered an old practice Water Quality exam. I have no idea how to actually scan it and put it up online, but thankfully, it's short so I'll just post the questions here.

1) A water sample with a pH of 2 is considered to be:
a) basic b) acidic c) neutral d) perfect for aquatic life

2) T/F: The pH of natural water falls between 9 and 14.

3) Compare the color of the sample of the pH color chart. Record the result of pH (obviously I don't have a sample right now, but it's just asking to determine pH of a sample)

4) Is this result poor, good, or excellent?

5) The test for turbidity describes the :
a) odor of water b) mineral concentration of water c) suspended material in water d) metal concentration in water

6) (Turbidity test with sample). Record the result in JTU.

7) Does the result indicate good or poor conditions?

8)What does JTU stand for?

9) Briefly define the terms "watershed", "point source" and "nonpoint source" (three questions).

10) Match the definitions with the terms in teh word bank below (Im not gonna put up the entire thing, it's just the water cycle).

11) Definte the term "invasive species"

12) To what region are Zebra mussels native?

13) What process may be defined as the wearing away of the earth's surface? (there's more, but it's really long and irrelevant).

14) T/F Contour and terracing are two farming methods that be used to prevent erosion.

A) Identify the following macroinvertebrates using common names (I obviously don't have pictures, so here are the answers to this section, assuming I got them all right. They are almost all larvae).
Mayfly, Caddisfly, Stonefly, Dobsonfly, Damselfly, Dragonfly, Scud, Cranefly, Midge, Blackfly, Gilled Snail, Whirligig Beeter, Water Strider, Mosquito, Giant Water Bug.

Hope that helps. I didn't put the answers in case someone wanted to figure them out, but I have them if you wanna know.
Is that the entire test? It doesn't seem long or bad, and it seems rather easy.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

User avatar
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 927
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 9:10 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Long Island
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Water Quality

Post by gneissisnice » May 19th, 2011, 3:25 pm

quizbowl wrote: Is that the entire test? It doesn't seem long or bad, and it seems rather easy.
I think it was the whole test. Remember though, there's always a big variation on tests. Just because this one is short and fairly easy doesn't mean that all of them are. There was also a testing part that I left out (I did mention the questions though), but that doesn't really take a long time.

So this is probably what you could expect for a regional event, but a state or national event would probably be much more difficult.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

JSGandora
Member
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: December 25th, 2010, 12:09 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Water Quality

Post by JSGandora » May 22nd, 2011, 6:55 pm

How similar is this to Ecology? Just wondering.

User avatar
quizbowl
Member
Member
Posts: 1044
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 3:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Syosset High, WLI, NY --> UChicago '16
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Water Quality

Post by quizbowl » May 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm

JSGandora wrote:How similar is this to Ecology? Just wondering.
A lot of the questions will probably pertain to the ecology of estuaries.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

Nerd95
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 25
Joined: October 15th, 2008, 4:43 am
Division: Grad
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Water Quality

Post by Nerd95 » June 5th, 2011, 8:18 am

quizbowl wrote:
JSGandora wrote:How similar is this to Ecology? Just wondering.
A lot of the questions will probably pertain to the ecology of estuaries.
Quizbowl, it is important to note that the subject of water quality is not limited to estuaries or even the ecology of estuaries. Water quality is an important topic in discussing ANY water body (stream, river, marsh, etc). The ecology aspect of this event will most likely surface in the study of benthic macro-invertebrates.
Event Supervisor (Mass & Missouri)
__
PAST EVENTS
'13: Water Qual, Shock Val (B coach)
'12: Water Qual (B coach)
'11: Dyn Planet, Ecol (B coach, C)
'10: Ecol (C)
'09: Ecol, Bio-Proc, Ex Design, Env Chem (B)
'08: Ecol, Bio-Proc, Scrambler, Meteorology (B)
'07: Awesome Aquifer, Bugs (B)

anatomy
Member
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: May 16th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: somewhere nerdy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Water Quality

Post by anatomy » June 5th, 2011, 5:04 pm

Is water quality a purely academic event?
never underestimate the power of anatomy
hehehe

2012 regionals: anatomy: 1st forestry: 1st microbe mission 4th
2012 states: anatomy: 3rd forestry: 4th crimebusters: 3rd microbe mission 8th

User avatar
mingtian
Member
Member
Posts: 160
Joined: March 1st, 2011, 5:16 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Water Quality

Post by mingtian » June 5th, 2011, 5:48 pm

_anatomy_ wrote:Is water quality a purely academic event?
Here are the ruleshttp://sps.k12.mo.us/pipkin/SODivb/wate ... Qualty.pdf No.

Starapollo1
Member
Member
Posts: 244
Joined: January 16th, 2010, 1:55 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Water Quality

Post by Starapollo1 » June 9th, 2011, 7:56 am

mingtian wrote:
_anatomy_ wrote:Is water quality a purely academic event?
Here are the ruleshttp://sps.k12.mo.us/pipkin/SODivb/wate ... Qualty.pdf No.
Keep in mind though those rules are only tentative, they will probably change by August :)
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Water Quality

Post by tornado guy » June 9th, 2011, 8:46 am

Starapollo1 wrote:Keep in mind though those rules are only tentative, they will probably change by August :)
Yes, but it is a good start to know what to study in general for summer :)
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

Locked

Return to “2011 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest