gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Preliminary:Forestry

Postby gneissisnice » July 21st, 2011, 7:31 pm

Katherine wrote:
mingtian wrote:So, we need to know subspecies too right? Like different Oaks.

Are you talking about subspecies as in (for example) red-shafted and yellow-shafted flickers?
Then yes.

Yes, you do need to know specific oaks (it wouldn't be a very difficult event otherwise, after all).

Oak is actually a genus, species are things like "black oak" or "scrub oak".
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby kjhsscioly » July 22nd, 2011, 5:56 pm

mingtian wrote:So, we need to know subspecies too right? Like different Oaks.

You are confusing species with subspecies. A species would be a ponderosa pine, and it has four subspecies (northern plateu, rocky mountains, southwestern, and pacific) , which are usually set apart by geographical regions and can hybridize freely. They share the main characteristics of the species, but are slightly different in the conditions the live in, and sometimes coloration. Subspecies can be specific to forests as well.

NYLHVSSO
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Postby NYLHVSSO » July 29th, 2011, 1:39 pm

The oak would be the genus, and the species would be a specific type of oak (ex: Chesnut Oak).
2014 New York City Div C Regionals
2012 New York Div B States
2012 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
2011 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals

JSGandora
State: NJ

Postby JSGandora » August 9th, 2011, 2:05 pm

I read a lot of people advocating about the Audobon field guide but it only comes in two books - eastern and western trees. To anyone who is using the Audobon field guide, did you find an edition that combined the eastern and western trees? Also, does anyone recommend Sibley? People are saying that you shouldn't use it because it has drawings instead of pictures but does anyone else have an opinion on this? Would having drawings have a disadvantage to pictures?

Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Postby Cheesy Pie » August 9th, 2011, 7:36 pm

Is this event only on modern-day trees or on prehistoric trees? Like, will trees that aren't found anymore but did exist be on the test, or will only currently living trees be on the tests?
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE

Flavorflav

Postby Flavorflav » August 10th, 2011, 5:25 am

Cheesy Pie wrote:Is this event only on modern-day trees or on prehistoric trees? Like, will trees that aren't found anymore but did exist be on the test, or will only currently living trees be on the tests?

No one can answer this with complete assurance until the rules are official, but in the past the ID events have never included extinct species as far as I can recall.

tuftedtitmouse12
State: -

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » August 10th, 2011, 5:35 am

JSGandora wrote:I read a lot of people advocating about the Audobon field guide but it only comes in two books - eastern and western trees. To anyone who is using the Audobon field guide, did you find an edition that combined the eastern and western trees? Also, does anyone recommend Sibley? People are saying that you shouldn't use it because it has drawings instead of pictures but does anyone else have an opinion on this? Would having drawings have a disadvantage to pictures?

no, i don't believe there is an edition of the audubon series containing both east and west trees.
with ornithology last year, i really liked drawings because they could show you field marks and traits that a photograph might not be able to show. but as for trees, they don't move and it is fairly easy to take good, quality, and helpful pictures, personally, i am determined to get a photograph field guide.
I personally used peterson instead of sibley for ornithology, so i don't really like the sibley series due to the fact that their layout is something i can never get used to. also, i don't really like audubon as an ID book, more of a fact book to copy down facts, and i don't think it would be good to take it into competition due to the fact that the plates are on different pages than the information.

there, i think ive answered most of your questions...i hope my reply helps :)
peter, peter, peter

NYLHVSSO
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby NYLHVSSO » August 10th, 2011, 6:53 pm

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:
JSGandora wrote:I read a lot of people advocating about the Audobon field guide but it only comes in two books - eastern and western trees. To anyone who is using the Audobon field guide, did you find an edition that combined the eastern and western trees? Also, does anyone recommend Sibley? People are saying that you shouldn't use it because it has drawings instead of pictures but does anyone else have an opinion on this? Would having drawings have a disadvantage to pictures?

no, i don't believe there is an edition of the audubon series containing both east and west trees.
with ornithology last year, i really liked drawings because they could show you field marks and traits that a photograph might not be able to show. but as for trees, they don't move and it is fairly easy to take good, quality, and helpful pictures, personally, i am determined to get a photograph field guide.
I personally used peterson instead of sibley for ornithology, so i don't really like the sibley series due to the fact that their layout is something i can never get used to. also, i don't really like audubon as an ID book, more of a fact book to copy down facts, and i don't think it would be good to take it into competition due to the fact that the plates are on different pages than the information.

there, i think ive answered most of your questions...i hope my reply helps :)

I don't think I'd use the Audubon for competition because the style of the book and the format is not fit for competition.

In Ornithology I liked how the drawings pointed out the key features of the bird (I used Peterson).

For next year's Forestry, I am planning to use the National Wildlife Federation field guide. I think that one has photographs.

And no, I don't think there is an Audubon with east and west, but perhaps states might only do trees that are in the region. We don't know yet until the rules come out.
2014 New York City Div C Regionals
2012 New York Div B States
2012 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
2011 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals

tuftedtitmouse12

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » August 10th, 2011, 6:56 pm

oh yes, thanks for reminding me NYLHSSO
NWF is a very good book, with fairly good photographs
if you need more info, i guess you could copy down the audubon info into the NWF
peter, peter, peter

JSGandora
State: NJ

Postby JSGandora » August 11th, 2011, 6:58 am

Thank you, tuftedtitmouse12, your response really helped. Now my choices are between National Wildlife Federation and Sibley, but I'll probably get NWF since it have pictures rather than drawings.
Last edited by JSGandora on August 11th, 2011, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tuftedtitmouse12

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » August 11th, 2011, 9:43 am

yes
for ornithology, we used peterson as a field guide
but we used the pictures of nwf for flashcards at the beginning

and i think the pictures are helpful :)

and i wouldn't use sibley for forestry, in particular
ive peeked at it and when comparing forestry sibley to foresty nwf, i like photographs better for trees
and nwf's photographs are pretty good, mind you
peter, peter, peter

fossilgirl13
State: OH

Postby fossilgirl13 » August 13th, 2011, 8:03 pm

Does anyone know any good forestry guides? The ones I found at the library weren't very helpful.
Rocks and Minerals, Disease Detectives, Designer Genes

Cheesy Pie

Postby Cheesy Pie » August 14th, 2011, 6:04 am

Flavorflav wrote:
Cheesy Pie wrote:Is this event only on modern-day trees or on prehistoric trees? Like, will trees that aren't found anymore but did exist be on the test, or will only currently living trees be on the tests?

No one can answer this with complete assurance until the rules are official, but in the past the ID events have never included extinct species as far as I can recall.

A belated thank-you, Flavorflav. I was wondering because my Fossils field guide has a section on plants, which included trees (mostly extinct).
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE

tuftedtitmouse12

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » August 14th, 2011, 6:25 am

fossilgirl13 wrote:Does anyone know any good forestry guides? The ones I found at the library weren't very helpful.

i think Audubon field guides for information
but for good pictures, i would recommend NWF

(i don't think that for forestry, drawings would be helpful...i prefer pictures)
peter, peter, peter

Cheesy Pie

Postby Cheesy Pie » August 14th, 2011, 6:26 am

I think use 2: one exclusively to study during practice, one to also use at competition.
And try finding previous tests; they can be really helpful.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

GO GREEN GO WHITE

Return to “2011 Study Events”