Preliminary:Forestry

foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Forestry

Post by foreverphysics »

Oh, that's amazing, NYLHVSSO. Thanks.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by kjhsscioly »

JSGandora wrote:I think I'm going to get two guides as recommended by Cheesy Pie. Besides NWF, I'm going to get one for supplementary info. Which do you think is better for information, Sibley, or Audobon?
Sibley is very pictoral, and audbon isn't quite, but does anyone know how many species on the old list are actually in each book?
blazer
Division: C
State: MO

Post by blazer »

kjhsscioly wrote:
JSGandora wrote:I think I'm going to get two guides as recommended by Cheesy Pie. Besides NWF, I'm going to get one for supplementary info. Which do you think is better for information, Sibley, or Audobon?
Sibley is very pictoral, and audbon isn't quite, but does anyone know how many species on the old list are actually in each book?
All of the species are contained between the eastern and western regions of the audobon, as the list was based off them. Sibley contains all but 9: Soaptree Yucca, Bebb Willow, Pacific Willow, Scouler Willow, Frosted Hawthorn, Blue Paloverde, Jumping Cholla, Red-osier Dogwood, and Kukui. NWF contains all but 4: Black Hawthorn, Frosted Hawthorn, Toyon, and Kukui.
Regionals: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Thermodynamics, 1st Experimental Design, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Forestry, 4th Gravity Vehicle, 5th Optics
State: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Gravity Vehicle, 1st Optics, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Experimental Design, 3rd Thermodynamics, 6th Forestry
Nationals: Tie for 1st Robot Arm
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Thank you. And Nylhvsso, can you show us the practice test?
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora »

It can be found here: http://scioly.org/wiki/2012_Test_Exchange#Forestry
blazer wrote: All of the species are contained between the eastern and western regions of the audobon, as the list was based off them. Sibley contains all but 9: Soaptree Yucca, Bebb Willow, Pacific Willow, Scouler Willow, Frosted Hawthorn, Blue Paloverde, Jumping Cholla, Red-osier Dogwood, and Kukui. NWF contains all but 4: Black Hawthorn, Frosted Hawthorn, Toyon, and Kukui.
Thanks for your reply.

For people who are going to use books that don't contain some of the trees, how are you going to deal with that? Are you just going to completely memorize those? Or would you just rather get a less practical field guide with all the trees?
blazer
State: MO

Post by blazer »

JSGandora wrote: Thanks for your reply.

For people who are going to use books that don't contain some of the trees, how are you going to deal with that? Are you just going to completely memorize those? Or would you just rather get a less practical field guide with all the trees?
I think when they made the new list, they did not base it off of audubon again, as they wanted to give competitors the decision of what guide to use. I also think they looked at the guides on the market(like Sibley and NWF) and took some of the missing species off the list. My guess is that they will again endorse some guide that has all the species, like last year's Peterson, while other guides will only lack one or two species. Having said that, last year in ornithology I competed with the Smithsonian, which did not have the northern jacana. I just memorized how to identify it and wrote its information on my sheet.
Regionals: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Thermodynamics, 1st Experimental Design, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Forestry, 4th Gravity Vehicle, 5th Optics
State: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Gravity Vehicle, 1st Optics, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Experimental Design, 3rd Thermodynamics, 6th Forestry
Nationals: Tie for 1st Robot Arm
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

exactly
(i would have done that but i used peterson)

i am guessing audubon will be what the peterson field guide was, for ornithology... but this is my assumption...since last time this was an event, the lists i saw were very detailed and signified which field guide contained what trees...
peter, peter, peter
FueL
State: NY

Post by FueL »

JSGandora wrote:For people who are going to use books that don't contain some of the trees, how are you going to deal with that? Are you just going to completely memorize those? Or would you just rather get a less practical field guide with all the trees?
We had about 3 birds that weren't included in our guides for ornithology, and copied their info from either another guide or the Internet onto our notesheet.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

In Fossils, I used an old test. I'd recommend this, as this (a) helps you study, and (b) gives you an idea on what this year's test might be like.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

FueL wrote:
JSGandora wrote:For people who are going to use books that don't contain some of the trees, how are you going to deal with that? Are you just going to completely memorize those? Or would you just rather get a less practical field guide with all the trees?
We had about 3 birds that weren't included in our guides for ornithology, and copied their info from either another guide or the Internet onto our notesheet.
yes that is what i would recommend
i would rather have a field guide very informative missing a few specimens...

but then again, it depends. if one field guide has all specimens but is fairly vague with info about each while the other is very informative but is missing 10 or more specimens, i first see if the info one has a lot of space...if it does and you have room on your cheat sheet for them, then i would type it up in 7 size font and maybe write in a few specimens into the book.
peter, peter, peter

Return to “2011 Study Events”