Build Techniques

deezee
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Build Techniques

Post by deezee »

what I do is I make the base first, and then glue the four sticks of the tower directly on it, so the base and the tower match perfectly. I don't build them separately.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
huhhyea
State: CT

Post by huhhyea »

Heyy guyss.

So I'm making a tower for division C and I really need help right now...and it would be greattt if you could help me.
cuz literally NO ONE has ever done a building event at my school. (including myself. *sigh*)
two questions :

1. When you're making PAPER JIG for your glue... do you just draw lines or the whole thickness of each wood? I need help on how to make jig in general!!
2. When you're making X bracing....how do you glue two wood to form X? like, would you pave to put the other wood or just sort of bend the wood to glue them together?
_______________________________________So basically those questions are really important__________
and these are optional questions... :(
1. I'm using Titebond II ultimate wood glue -- is that too heavy?
2. I'm using only 1/8 balsa wood. Do you think it's worth getting 1/16 for bracing?

But anyway, if experienced people could help me with first two questions,
IT WOULD BE SOOO MUCHHHH APPRECIATED.
Thanks everyonee
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

lllazar wrote:How do you guys make sure that when you place the loading block on the tower, it is perfectly parallel? I hate premature breakage :/
You can use a ruler. Use little pieces of tape to hold the tower in place. Lay ruler across the top- on a 4-leg tower, across diagonally. Get a little stick, like 55cm long. Go out to one end of the ruler, place the stick wertically, make a mark where it meets the ruler. Go to the other end. Which ever side (leg) is higher, sand/file down very slightly; re-check; do until the ruler is level (distance up to both ends is the same. Now leave one side of the ruler on one of the legs you've matched. Swing the other end to one of the adjacent legs. If that (new) leg is too high/long, sand down till its the same. If its too short, either go back and sand down the legs you started with till they match, or glue a bit on top of it, and sand down to match the other leg. Now swing one end of the ruler to the last leg, and get it to match (sanding down if long, adding & sanding down if too short.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
SLM
Division: Grad

Post by SLM »

huhhyea wrote:Heyy guyss.

So I'm making a tower for division C and I really need help right now...and it would be greattt if you could help me.
cuz literally NO ONE has ever done a building event at my school. (including myself. *sigh*)
two questions :

1. When you're making PAPER JIG for your glue... do you just draw lines or the whole thickness of each wood? I need help on how to make jig in general!!
2. When you're making X bracing....how do you glue two wood to form X? like, would you pave to put the other wood or just sort of bend the wood to glue them together?
_______________________________________So basically those questions are really important__________
2. I'm using only 1/8 balsa wood. Do you think it's worth getting 1/16 for bracing?
1. I am not sure what you mean by "paper jig." Are you referring to a two dimensional drawing on paper? Or, are you referring to a three dimensional form for assembling your tower?
2. If the X bracing has a relatively short length (say under 10 cm), it probably is not a good idea to bend one diagonal over the other. You may want to have one diagonal on one side and the other diagonal on the other side of the frame.
3. You can find lighter glue than titebond. See Entry 5 (2009-2010) here.
4. We have been using 1/16" x 1/16" for bracing without any problems.

Also, spend time reading the entries on this forum; you will find many practical tips for building towers.
nationalsapipedream
State: TX

Post by nationalsapipedream »

What's the best technique for constructing the base so that it angles in and fits with the chimney? The base should be flat and touching the bottom with as much surface area as possible right? (the four sticks of wood that form a box) Should I cut the face of the base sticks with angles and attach to the bottom four sticks? Sorry I know it's very confusing wording but this is the best I can describe it really appreciate any help.
A Person
Division: Grad
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

SLM wrote:
huhhyea wrote:Heyy guyss.

two questions :

1. I am not sure what you mean by "paper jig." Are you referring to a two dimensional drawing on paper? Or, are you referring to a three dimensional form for assembling your tower?
2. If the X bracing has a relatively short length (say under 10 cm), it probably is not a good idea to bend one diagonal over the other. You may want to have one diagonal on one side and the other diagonal on the other side of the frame.
3. You can find lighter glue than titebond. See Entry 5 (2009-2010) here.
4. We have been using 1/16" x 1/16" for bracing without any problems.

Also, spend time reading the entries on this forum; you will find many practical tips for building towers.
I suggest using 1/8 wood and X bracing to start with and move to 3/32. I suggest Loctite super-glue so much.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
sr243
State: WI

Post by sr243 »

I am wondering which is better for support. 1/8 by 1/8 low density or 3/32 by 3/32 medium density? Assume they weigh about the same.
iYOA
State: NJ

Post by iYOA »

1/8 by 1/8 low density would be better because its cross section is larger. To convince yourself on why this is true, just think about a 1g piece of 1/16 compared to a 1g piece of 1/8-of equal length of course. The 1/8 by 1/8 stick will easily hold more.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
hpfananu
State: TX

Post by hpfananu »

iYOA wrote:1/8 by 1/8 low density would be better because its cross section is larger. To convince yourself on why this is true, just think about a 1g piece of 1/16 compared to a 1g piece of 1/8-of equal length of course. The 1/8 by 1/8 stick will easily hold more.
But I think someone said the opposite actually in another thread....
Won't 3/32 be better since technically it's a lot denser in terms of volume?
Materials Science|Water Quality|Disease Detectives
Sleep is for the Weak: SLHS SO 2012-2013
TAMS 2013-2014
Littleboy
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

But then it gets too much weight. And 1/8 can still hold the right amount of weight and have no excess weight.

Return to “Towers B/C”