Efficiencies

lllazar
Division: C
State: IL
Location: Probably at my laptop, multitasking while on AJAX chat....
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Efficiencies

Post by lllazar » February 14th, 2011, 4:20 pm

An efficiency of 17 in either division for a beginner is very good, nice work! I don't know how that would place at most regional tournaments, as my regional isn't a very good yardstick to compare with...

(Let's put it this way, say there is a team GOOD which puts in enough work to learn everything off of the wiki on this website for study events, and works on their build-it's every weekend for a month before regionals. This team GOOD would without a doubt beat every team at my regional except my own.)

Moving on, obviously you should work on getting the tower weight down, but i suggest you make sure your tower can hold max weight! It is absolutely crucial - my first tower this season (C division) had a mass of 6.5 grams and held 10kg. Take, for example, a tower that had a mass of 13 grams, and held all 15 kg (like yours, and totally by coincidence!). My tower's efficiency wouldn't just lose, but by a margin of almost 2 points in efficiency!! (15.38 vs 17.3)

Moral of the story, build light, but not too light, unless you know you've selected some really good wood (read into "stiffness" and "density" in the designs thread).
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?

phillies413

Post by phillies413 » February 14th, 2011, 5:13 pm

How wide are you guys making the top part of your tower...I try to make mine about 4.8 cm, but is there any benefit to making the top that wide, or is a smaller width at the top, like 4 cm, a better idea?

TYG
State: NY

Post by TYG » February 15th, 2011, 11:42 am

Not that this is that helpful, but I, too, have the top at 4.8x4.8cm.

drifter601
State: TX

Post by drifter601 » February 15th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Thanks soccerkid812!!! :D :!: 8-)
My dream car (in profile picture): a Nissan Skyline GTR R34...

drifter601
State: TX

Post by drifter601 » February 16th, 2011, 2:31 pm

What are the best types of wood(other than balsa)?
Thanks!
My dream car (in profile picture): a Nissan Skyline GTR R34...

soccerkid812

Post by soccerkid812 » February 16th, 2011, 2:39 pm

drifter601 wrote:What are the best types of wood(other than balsa)?
Thanks!
most people use all balsa wood
other than that, iv seen only bass wood
not sure about other types of wood that are good

dragonfly
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by dragonfly » February 16th, 2011, 4:04 pm

phillies413 wrote:How wide are you guys making the top part of your tower...I try to make mine about 4.8 cm, but is there any benefit to making the top that wide, or is a smaller width at the top, like 4 cm, a better idea?
As long as your top doesn't go OUTWARD upwards, and that the loading block is comfortably sitting atop your legs, all is well. Widthwise, that's up to you!

I haven't checked in in a while, and I see there's been a bunch about B division. How are all of you C-divisioners doing with your towers?
``````( ) ( ) /
------------
``````( ) ( ) \

PA 2009, 1st Bridges : 2010, 1st Bridges, 1st WM : 2011, 1st ED, 3rd Towers, 4th Heli
Nats Augusta 2009, 4th Bridges : Illinois 2010, 3rd Bridges, 9th ED : Wisconsin 2011, 3rd Heli, 5th Towers : Orlando 2012, 2nd ED, 5th Towers
Event Supervisor Balsa, ED

_HenryHscioly_
State: CA

Post by _HenryHscioly_ » February 21st, 2011, 8:57 pm

Has anyone tried baking their towers at low temp., around 150degrees, and have their efficiencies go up?
maybe building two identical towers, and baking one and not the other to see if strength is significantly reduced?
The coaches at my school told me to bake my next tower, but I can see why some of my old friends say taht it will make it more brittle, actually making it less efficent
does anyone have data/results from an actual test/experiment?
thankss

icyfire

Post by icyfire » February 23rd, 2011, 8:22 am

dragonfly wrote:
phillies413 wrote:How wide are you guys making the top part of your tower...I try to make mine about 4.8 cm, but is there any benefit to making the top that wide, or is a smaller width at the top, like 4 cm, a better idea?
As long as your top doesn't go OUTWARD upwards, and that the loading block is comfortably sitting atop your legs, all is well. Widthwise, that's up to you!

I haven't checked in in a while, and I see there's been a bunch about B division. How are all of you C-divisioners doing with your towers?
Wouldn't it make more sense for the opening at the top to be (assuming the top section is a rectangular prism) as wide as possible so that the legs on the bottom part dont have to make as wide an angle?

12thomasal
State: NC

Post by 12thomasal » February 23rd, 2011, 9:18 am

to a point your logic is true, but one has to remember that as the chimney gets smaller, it weighs less and it becomes stronger with the shorter cross section pieces. My idea is to have it slant from a 3 X 3 opening at the top of the chimney to a 5 x 5 one at the 15 cm mark. I t makes my tower more balanced and it cuts weight while only making a 1.6˚ slant which is nothing compared to the 28˚ slant for the lower leg.

remember that the rules say that the chain can be as wide as 3cm in diameter but only the competition director will know the width of the chains, so shoot her/him an email.
Last edited by 12thomasal on February 23rd, 2011, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Towers B/C”