eta150
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Glue

Post by eta150 »

Littleboy wrote:I too use zap a gap as it is duarable
jayhawk101 wrote:For me, my partner and I used Zap-a-Gap Glue. It worked perfectly! We almost won, but our tower was less than a cm too tall! I was so depressed. :?
Do you mean to short. There is no heigh limit.
I think he meant bridge
#ACESWILD
iYOA
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by iYOA »

jander14indoor wrote:
lllazar wrote:<SNIP> I honestly couldnt get the pins to work - is it because im using thin ca?
No, I only use thin CA, doesn't work well at all with medium. Are the pins close together at an acute angle? Was trying to figure out how to show that and noticed the capital V i used later. Needs to be at least as sharp as that V, maybe sharper. The glue sits in the bottom of the V wicked up by capillary action, thus the need to keep the V narrow and the pins very close together.

Note, you pick up the glue where the tips of the pins come together, and drop it off by touching the side of the V the pins make to joint. When we were making Wright Stuff planes, you'd add less than 0.01 gm glue weight to a wing if careful.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
instead of pins, we just undo a paper clip and use that. it works fairly well, but needs to be replaced since glue usually builds up on the tips.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Whatever works, if you can control the amount of glue you have ONE of the key tools to building light but strong.

PS, if you get too much glue build up on a metal applicator, you can clean it off mechanically with a pair of pliers, or burn it off, just watch the fumes, pretty nasty.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
lllazar
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

Paper clips! Of course!
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
tying15
Division: B
State: KS

Post by tying15 »

Littleboy wrote:I too use zap a gap as it is duarable
jayhawk101 wrote:For me, my partner and I used Zap-a-Gap Glue. It worked perfectly! We almost won, but our tower was less than a cm too tall! I was so depressed. :?
Do you mean to short. There is no heigh limit.
Nah sorry I'm her partner and I meant too wide.
I got 2nd place in WIDI Kansas state competition in 2010-2011!
deezee

Post by deezee »

zap a gap seems like a pretty good idea!
I use CA and then hold the joints and members together with light clamps to strengthen it and bond it.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
soccerkid812

Post by soccerkid812 »

How do you guys keep glue of your fingers and from sticking to the tower itself?
I glue straight for the bottle, and when pressing on the wood, the glue gets on my fingers and sticks them to the tower itself.
SLM
Division: Grad

Post by SLM »

soccerkid812 wrote:How do you guys keep glue of your fingers and from sticking to the tower itself?
I glue straight for the bottle, and when pressing on the wood, the glue gets on my fingers and sticks them to the tower itself.
You can use an extension tip to better control the amount and placement of glue from the bottle. Here is one that I like:

http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/Ex ... 3p7013.htm
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

I'm not in towers this year, but from being in helicopter I know that buying CA glue accelerator would solve your problems. Put the superglue on the joints of the wood and spray with accelerator. This helps it to dry so quickly that your fingers cannot possibly get stuck. Hold the wood firmly in place (a good distance away from the glued joint) to make sure you're in the right position when you spray.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
lllazar

Post by lllazar »

I get some thin jewelry wire (quite malleable into w/e shape you desire) and bend it into a sort of parabola except the tips come together. Then i get a thumbtack and drop a drop of CA on the thumbtack (once it has been mounted on a stable surface, in my case i just have scrap cardboard). Then i take the applicator i've created and just dip it into the glue very gently. With a little practice, i've gotten to using one drop from the bottle for about 10 joints, if i build fast enough.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?

Return to “Towers B/C”