ImageNorth Bethesda middle school Image
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Balsa or Bass

Post by lllazar »

Depending on your design, if you think you should, go for it. I made a change in two of the tension members in my bridge last year, from balsa to bass, and had an improvement in efficiency (by last years equation) of 100ish. So yes, look at your design thoroughly, and keep your mind open.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
Bubba1960
Division: B
State: MD

Post by Bubba1960 »

At my school, somebody told me that a combo of bass and balsa worked well for bridges last year. Would this work well for towers too?
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own ~ Adam Savage
North Bethesda Middle School
Littleboy
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

It all depends on your design and how you use it. Some designs work well with balsa others with bass and some with a combonation of the two. You will also have to put it in the right places. You won't want bass in a place that could have balsa or balsa were bass is needed. Remembering this, you want to have a light tower so don't build to heavy. This should have applied last year as well.
Also read last year posts on balsa or bass.
lllazar
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

I ordered from Specialized Balsa, some balsa sheets, about 3 weeks ago....it still hasn't arrived at my school (My coach ordered it)...how long does the shipping usually take, because im running low on the wood i currently have.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

Wow, I'd contact them; I think something's wrong. I've never ordered- just drive down to pick wood up, but I know Jake works hard to turn orders around quick, and they ship Fed-X.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
SLM
Division: Grad

Post by SLM »

lllazar wrote:I ordered from Specialized Balsa, some balsa sheets, about 3 weeks ago....it still hasn't arrived at my school (My coach ordered it)...how long does the shipping usually take, because im running low on the wood i currently have.
I've ordered balsa sheets and sticks from Specialized Balsa several times. I've always received a confirmation e-mail within 2 days of ordering, and have gotten the woods via USPS within a week.
yogoperson
State: CA

Post by yogoperson »

I think balsa wood is better. It's lighter and stronger if you use it correctly, and if you know how to put together structures that don't use a lot of glue yet efficient. I am horrible at it, though. My friends are geniuses at this.
Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
-----
Fossils
Entomology
Oh gawd what have I done to myself.
austinfhs

Post by austinfhs »

I don't have much experience with this event, but I think that a combination is the best. Maybe using bass (along the grain) for the serious stress points, and then using balsa as supports against twisting and distributing weight? I tried breaking some quarter inch bass and it had incredible strength - then again that was quarter inch, and way larger than you'll be using less wood then that.
Vizard007

Post by Vizard007 »

austinfhs wrote:I don't have much experience with this event, but I think that a combination is the best. Maybe using bass (along the grain) for the serious stress points, and then using balsa as supports against twisting and distributing weight? I tried breaking some quarter inch bass and it had incredible strength - then again that was quarter inch, and way larger than you'll be using less wood then that.
What he says is kind of correct? The truth is, Balsa is superior in every way IFF the wood is carefully selected. a 5G piece of balsa wood isn't necessarily stronger than a 1G strip of the same size and thickness (Though there is a correlation between mass and strength). The hard part is just taking the time to get the wood. Another issue is that if a 1 meter piece of balsa wood was cut in half, the two opposite ends could have completely different masses and strength. So, IMO I would go with what austinfhs has posted above, or at least go all bass. Because if a tower breaks it will be harder to distinguish why it broke with balsa due to so many different variable. At least it will be harder relative to using bass wood. I'm going to try to get my team to go ALL bass then towards a hybrid of bass and balsa, and then pure balsa. But, the team that beats our school every year goes pure bass, and they've been going to nats for like, 25 years i believe? Plus, with the new efficiency formula, carrying more weight is important, so that's another pro for bass (in the beginning at least).
It's so easy, even a Badger could do it.

Return to “Towers B/C”