Balsa or Bass

Freyssenet
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: November 29th, 2010, 3:41 pm
Division: B
State: CA

Re: Balsa or Bass

Post by Freyssenet » December 16th, 2010, 2:41 pm

GeekyGem wrote:Where do we get the material like Balsa Wood and Glue for the construction ? I live in San Diego.
You can order it online at lower cost from AC supply: http://www.specializedbalsa.com/ or Specialized balsa: http://www.specializedbalsa.com/ among others. In San Diego you can get balsa wood from the ACE hardware store, Michale's and perhaps from Hobby Central, give them a call. As for the glue, many stores sell CA glue (sold under many names, one is Loctite superglue). A good CA glue to start with is
Loctite Superglue Ultragel sold by the Home Depot.

User avatar
eta150
Member
Member
Posts: 269
Joined: March 11th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Kville

Re: Balsa or Bass

Post by eta150 » December 17th, 2010, 11:36 am

Freyssenet wrote:
GeekyGem wrote:Where do we get the material like Balsa Wood and Glue for the construction ? I live in San Diego.
You can order it online at lower cost from AC supply: http://www.specializedbalsa.com/ or Specialized balsa: http://www.specializedbalsa.com/
uhh...
#ACESWILD

gabuilder
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 9:47 am
Division: C
State: GA

Re: Balsa or Bass

Post by gabuilder » January 19th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Recognizing the consistency and invariability factor, I still see no argument for bass. Regardless of what size of bass is used, an equal weight of balsa could be obtained that would be much stronger. Basically, my argument is that the equally weighted balsa, even with a huge internal variance, will always be stronger or equal to bass of the same weight.

iYOA
Member
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: March 1st, 2008, 7:13 am
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Balsa or Bass

Post by iYOA » January 20th, 2011, 2:20 pm

yes i agree with you and also, the issue with consistency and invariability is actually no issue because if you weigh each stick of wood you use and do a stiffness test on it, there should be absolutely no surprises as to where it fails. Therefore, balsa is a much better option than it may seem to be. Also, with balsa there is the potential to build much lighter towers and if the wood does seem too light and flimsy, lamination is an option. A mixture might be a good idea to start out with but eventually, building an all balsa tower seems to be much more beneficial.

That being said, it is not impossible to build an extremely good mostly bass tower it just depends on personal preference (but balsa is also cheapter)


heres what garrettsbridges has to say on the matter. In general, it is a pretty good, informative site.
http://www.garrettsbridges.com/building/woodtips/
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South

gabuilder
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 9:47 am
Division: C
State: GA

Re: Balsa or Bass

Post by gabuilder » January 20th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Thanks. When you say lamination? What does that entail? Does it not add a lot of weight?

iYOA
Member
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: March 1st, 2008, 7:13 am
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Balsa or Bass

Post by iYOA » January 20th, 2011, 8:59 pm

if done properly, lamination will significantly strengthen the wood while adding less than 1g. I personally would suggest using it with two light and flimsy pieces of wood. I usually like to laminate on the base. So basically, what i do is build the base and my partner builds the chimney and we both connect it.
so, i will build the base normally first but use moderately light pieces of wood for the four 1/8^2 primary compression members. Then i will take an extremely light and spongy stick of balsa (with a mass of roughly 1gram per 48 inches). Then i cut out a piece from it that is a tad bit shorter than my primary compression members, apply glue to one entire side and glue it to a primary compression member. Do this until each of the four members has a stick laminated to it... i find that this only adds about 0.4-0.6 grams to the base to make a 3g base. However, the strength benefits are worth it imo.

Laminating for the chimney is an abject disaster because the primary members are too long so instead, we just put more bracing :) but if someone has an easy method for that, i would really be interested in knowing it.

a note on gluing: i find that super glue is pretty good for laminating but there can be some issues with weight and the fact that some varieties dry too quickly. You can also thin out wood glue with water. I dont know how much weight that adds but i would say that the lamination with that is pretty amazing(if you can get the right consistency of watery-glue)

another option is to just use something light such as welbond, ambroid, duco etc... oh but a warning: ambroid smells horrible, so avoid it if possible :D
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South

SLM
Member
Member
Posts: 195
Joined: January 31st, 2009, 2:24 pm
Division: Grad

Re: Balsa or Bass

Post by SLM » January 21st, 2011, 3:55 am

iYOA wrote:... if you weigh each stick of wood you use and do a stiffness test on it,,,,
How do you test for stiffness? Can it be quantified and if so, what is its unit?

User avatar
deezee
Member
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: January 17th, 2011, 7:19 am
Division: C
State: IL
Location: On earth

Re: Balsa or Bass

Post by deezee » February 2nd, 2011, 10:08 am

I really would not use bass. When I built a tower out of basswood, it stood 40 kg without breaking. So I made it part balsa and part bass and it still stood 34 kg without breaking. So now I'm using completely balsa. We'll see how it turns out...
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.

User avatar
whadk
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: November 18th, 2009, 8:53 am
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Balsa or Bass

Post by whadk » April 7th, 2011, 8:33 pm

BTW it's good to calculate the wood density to see if it's good to use or not :)
helps you save more woods
RWARRRR :)

thewinner
Member
Member
Posts: 110
Joined: March 18th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Division: B
State: NJ
Location: TGMS FTW

Re: Balsa or Bass

Post by thewinner » April 8th, 2011, 12:25 pm

SLM wrote:
iYOA wrote:... if you weigh each stick of wood you use and do a stiffness test on it,,,,
How do you test for stiffness? Can it be quantified and if so, what is its unit?
Stiffness is explained on Wikipedia (don't hate on me for using Wikipedia.)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young's_modulus
To test stiffness relative to other sticks of balsa, just take a scale, hold the stick of balsa vertically on top of it, and press down. The scale readings will stop at a certain point. The higher that point is, the stiffer the balsa is.
I win.

Locked

Return to “Towers B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest