Transportation

Littleboy
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Transportation

Post by Littleboy »

They get rid of alot of the humidity. Makes tower lighter by reducing humidity it is exposed to.
Humidity=unnessesary weight
Last year at state, it was very humid and some of my major pieces of the bridge warped and it was way weaker.
For more info visit: http://www.sud-chemie.com/scmcms/web/page_en_6264.htm

We use a plastic suitcase with foam and these bags. It is hard, strong, no one can see our structures, and for a variety of other obvious reasons.
Freyssenet
Division: B
State: CA

Post by Freyssenet »

If your tower is weight critical, that is very light, say less than 6 grams, moisture could increase its weight because balsa is highly hygroscopic Dissecant bags absorb this moisture before balsa can absorb it itself. If your tower is over 7 grams, I would not worry too much, unless you live in a state with high relative humidity (like HW, FL, and other Southern states this time of the year).
soccerkid812

Post by soccerkid812 »

Freyssenet wrote:If your tower is weight critical, that is very light, say less than 6 grams, moisture could increase its weight because balsa is highly hygroscopic Dissecant bags absorb this moisture before balsa can absorb it itself. If your tower is over 7 grams, I would not worry too much, unless you live in a state with high relative humidity (like HW, FL, and other Southern states this time of the year).
if humidity is absorbed to balsa wood, whats the relationship between the weight of the tower and how much weight is added?
Littleboy
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

soccerkid812 wrote: if humidity is absorbed to balsa wood, whats the relationship between the weight of the tower and how much weight is added?
Depends on how much humidity is in the air and the amount of balsa and densitys (and a few more factors that i can't think of off the top of my head) of the wood.
Freyssenet
Division: B

Post by Freyssenet »

I read you live in GA, and the relative humidity outdoor there is high, in a building it will be considerably less... Balsa wood is exposed long enough will absorb water to be in equilbrium with the surrounding environment. I would check in a pharmacy , wallmart or other similar shops if the sell silica gel sacks... they are cheap...
soccerkid812

Post by soccerkid812 »

Freyssenet wrote:I read you live in GA, and the relative humidity outdoor there is high, in a building it will be considerably less... Balsa wood is exposed long enough will absorb water to be in equilbrium with the surrounding environment. I would check in a pharmacy , wallmart or other similar shops if the sell silica gel sacks... they are cheap...
ok thanks, ill definitely look into that
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by Kokonilly »

I made a sturdy wooden box with a teammate and, uh, that's our transport.
soccerkid812

Post by soccerkid812 »

Does anyone know what percent of a tower's weight is usually absorbed humidity?
iYOA
State: NJ

Post by iYOA »

now that this event is not an impound, it seems to be a good idea to use Silica Gel Desiccant bags. however, i heard that they actually can weaken the glue at joint? does anyone know what im talking about?

EDIT: @^ i think humidity can account for 5-10% of the weight but the tower will regain it pretty quickly.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
soccerkid812

Post by soccerkid812 »

iYOA wrote:now that this event is not an impound, it seems to be a good idea to use Silica Gel Desiccant bags. however, i heard that they actually can weaken the glue at joint? does anyone know what im talking about?

EDIT: @^ i think humidity can account for 5-10% of the weight but the tower will regain it pretty quickly.
about how long does it take to regain?

Return to “Towers B/C”