Transportation

User avatar
Littleboy
Member
Member
Posts: 373
Joined: March 14th, 2010, 4:53 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Location: Between the Earth's Core and Mars.

Re: Transportation

Post by Littleboy » January 20th, 2011, 4:01 pm

They get rid of alot of the humidity. Makes tower lighter by reducing humidity it is exposed to.
Humidity=unnessesary weight
Last year at state, it was very humid and some of my major pieces of the bridge warped and it was way weaker.
For more info visit: http://www.sud-chemie.com/scmcms/web/page_en_6264.htm

We use a plastic suitcase with foam and these bags. It is hard, strong, no one can see our structures, and for a variety of other obvious reasons.

Freyssenet
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: November 29th, 2010, 3:41 pm
Division: B
State: CA

Re: Transportation

Post by Freyssenet » January 20th, 2011, 4:04 pm

If your tower is weight critical, that is very light, say less than 6 grams, moisture could increase its weight because balsa is highly hygroscopic Dissecant bags absorb this moisture before balsa can absorb it itself. If your tower is over 7 grams, I would not worry too much, unless you live in a state with high relative humidity (like HW, FL, and other Southern states this time of the year).

soccerkid812
Member
Member
Posts: 169
Joined: December 16th, 2010, 4:43 pm
Division: C

Re: Transportation

Post by soccerkid812 » January 20th, 2011, 5:46 pm

Freyssenet wrote:If your tower is weight critical, that is very light, say less than 6 grams, moisture could increase its weight because balsa is highly hygroscopic Dissecant bags absorb this moisture before balsa can absorb it itself. If your tower is over 7 grams, I would not worry too much, unless you live in a state with high relative humidity (like HW, FL, and other Southern states this time of the year).
if humidity is absorbed to balsa wood, whats the relationship between the weight of the tower and how much weight is added?

User avatar
Littleboy
Member
Member
Posts: 373
Joined: March 14th, 2010, 4:53 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Location: Between the Earth's Core and Mars.

Re: Transportation

Post by Littleboy » January 20th, 2011, 5:55 pm

soccerkid812 wrote: if humidity is absorbed to balsa wood, whats the relationship between the weight of the tower and how much weight is added?
Depends on how much humidity is in the air and the amount of balsa and densitys (and a few more factors that i can't think of off the top of my head) of the wood.

Freyssenet
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: November 29th, 2010, 3:41 pm
Division: B
State: CA

Re: Transportation

Post by Freyssenet » January 20th, 2011, 6:28 pm

I read you live in GA, and the relative humidity outdoor there is high, in a building it will be considerably less... Balsa wood is exposed long enough will absorb water to be in equilbrium with the surrounding environment. I would check in a pharmacy , wallmart or other similar shops if the sell silica gel sacks... they are cheap...

soccerkid812
Member
Member
Posts: 169
Joined: December 16th, 2010, 4:43 pm
Division: C

Re: Transportation

Post by soccerkid812 » January 20th, 2011, 6:57 pm

Freyssenet wrote:I read you live in GA, and the relative humidity outdoor there is high, in a building it will be considerably less... Balsa wood is exposed long enough will absorb water to be in equilbrium with the surrounding environment. I would check in a pharmacy , wallmart or other similar shops if the sell silica gel sacks... they are cheap...
ok thanks, ill definitely look into that

User avatar
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 631
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 7:59 am
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: a dumpster

Re: Transportation

Post by Kokonilly » January 21st, 2011, 10:28 pm

I made a sturdy wooden box with a teammate and, uh, that's our transport.

soccerkid812
Member
Member
Posts: 169
Joined: December 16th, 2010, 4:43 pm
Division: C

Re: Transportation

Post by soccerkid812 » January 22nd, 2011, 2:47 pm

Does anyone know what percent of a tower's weight is usually absorbed humidity?

iYOA
Member
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: March 1st, 2008, 7:13 am
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Transportation

Post by iYOA » January 22nd, 2011, 5:01 pm

now that this event is not an impound, it seems to be a good idea to use Silica Gel Desiccant bags. however, i heard that they actually can weaken the glue at joint? does anyone know what im talking about?

EDIT: @^ i think humidity can account for 5-10% of the weight but the tower will regain it pretty quickly.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South

soccerkid812
Member
Member
Posts: 169
Joined: December 16th, 2010, 4:43 pm
Division: C

Re: Transportation

Post by soccerkid812 » January 22nd, 2011, 5:44 pm

iYOA wrote:now that this event is not an impound, it seems to be a good idea to use Silica Gel Desiccant bags. however, i heard that they actually can weaken the glue at joint? does anyone know what im talking about?

EDIT: @^ i think humidity can account for 5-10% of the weight but the tower will regain it pretty quickly.
about how long does it take to regain?

Locked

Return to “Towers B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest