Transportation

lllazar
Division: C
State: IL
Location: Probably at my laptop, multitasking while on AJAX chat....

Re: Transportation

Post by lllazar » January 22nd, 2011, 10:28 pm

Lol just take the container to the testing area and take it out - assuming the tower is weighed within a few minutes of being removed, it can hardly gain any mass back.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?

iYOA
State: NJ

Post by iYOA » January 23rd, 2011, 8:56 am

I know this was discussed before but anyway, how should I pack my brdige for the competition? I Have a cardboard box and two different sized plastic ones...and last year I heard something about rice???

When I test bridges at school I Leave the bridges in my locker and by the end of the day they have lost at least .10 grams
Rice, if it starts out really dry, is a....somewhat efficient dessicant; like silica gel, it will absorb moisture out of the air. However, unless you have a truely sealed/air-tight container, it - or silica gel - won't have any effect. The difference in weight between really dry (like on those 10% relative humidity days we sometimes get in Colorado) and humid - like 90% rel humidity will run in the 0.2 to 0.4gr range. A "dry" structure will come to equilibrium with .....wetter air pretty quickly; light balsa taking 5-10 min, bass 10-15; most of the change in the first half of the time window. Bottom line, unless your event is being run in a way that you can go from dry, air-tight box to the official scale in less than 5 min, you gain nothing.

Pack it to protect it for the trip. Couple foam blocks glued into the box so it can't slop/rattle around work nicely. Goood luck.

State for us is Saturday

here is some information on it from last year's forums. In general, this has been discussed quite a lot before so i am sure there will be a decent amount of information on this in the 2009 forums as well.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South

deezee

Post by deezee » February 2nd, 2011, 10:02 am

rice works really well for soaking up moisture too. I did that for bridges last year.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.

Lowell
Division: B
State: AL

Post by Lowell » February 3rd, 2011, 9:51 pm

We transport our towers in a plastic bin with newspaper lightly crumpled in a layer on the bottom and then around the sides. Seems to work well. Once we get to the event, we find a heat source, like a vent or radiator, or at least a hot room and store it there.

deezee

Post by deezee » February 4th, 2011, 3:57 pm

I also use those inflated air bags you sometimes get in a box in the mail to cushion.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.

yousef213
State: NY
Location: In front of either my computer, x-box, or misc. other

Post by yousef213 » March 4th, 2011, 5:48 pm

I used a rockband guitar box, they are about 55cm tall, about 25cm wide, and about 10cm thick making it a perfect fit for rectangular bases
Gt(xbl): Gonthorian II

" In 2012 the world will truely end, for 1/2 the world will die from heart palpitations induced by panic attack, and the other half will laugh so hard they will have irregular breathing and die."
- By yousef213

icyfire

Post by icyfire » April 7th, 2011, 3:46 pm

How much does moisture affect the tower? Should I be concerned enough to put a few packets of those water absorbing stuff in the tower box?

thewinner
State: NJ

Post by thewinner » April 9th, 2011, 11:18 am

icyfire wrote:How much does moisture affect the tower? Should I be concerned enough to put a few packets of those water absorbing stuff in the tower box?
Well, it can't hurt...
Unless they slide around and break your tower. Tape them down.
I win.

havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy » April 10th, 2011, 6:46 pm

icyfire wrote:How much does moisture affect the tower? Should I be concerned enough to put a few packets of those water absorbing stuff in the tower box?
I don't think that is necessary. My towers have never had trouble even when its been very humid or even raining.

Though, as thewinner said, it can't hurt to have them in there.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

anon y mouse
State: PA

Post by anon y mouse » May 1st, 2011, 7:55 pm

For nationals, has anyone ever had an issue transporting a balsa wood structure by plane? I assume the pressurized cabin doesn't make a difference, but I figure it's worth asking. Thanks.

Return to “Towers B/C”