Curved Wood

soccerkid812
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Curved Wood

Post by soccerkid812 »

just wondering the most effective ways on how to bend/curve wood?
would u guys recommend doing this for a tower?
yousef213
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Curved Wood

Post by yousef213 »

put bass (bends better than balsa) over boiling water for 10-15min.

Theoretically, an arc/ bent piece is stronger as it is under tension but it would have to be close to perfect or your structure may fall apary (neven distribution). From doing bridges I find that most of the time arches aren't worth it but since its a curved piece, not an arch, it may work. MY suggestion : If you have some time before regions, try it, if not its a gamble.
Gt(xbl): Gonthorian II

" In 2012 the world will truely end, for 1/2 the world will die from heart palpitations induced by panic attack, and the other half will laugh so hard they will have irregular breathing and die."
- By yousef213
deezee
State: IL

Post by deezee »

It's definitely stronger, but making it precise is a huge pain.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
waawamellon
State: KS

Post by waawamellon »

most towers look like this:
-| |
/-- \
we put the two pieces together with curved wood, we soaked it in water, formed the shape, and then let them dry into shape
then we found how heavy it was and thought 'ohh maybe its just heavy because there is water in it' so we put it in rice (because that should suck out the
moisture) and waited but nothing happened... whatever. = ) ohh btw we made a bunch of circular towers and i will post how they do :3
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit.
A Person
Division: Grad
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

I keep my wood under tension instead of curving it, but without diagonal bracing, the wood will twist into a screw-like shape.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
StaticBridge
State: VA

Post by StaticBridge »

What exactly is the benefit of curving the wood in your tower?
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

I don't think there would be any benefit to this. In fact, it might be detrimental to your success. From building with balsa I know that bent wood does not do well under strain. It is best to leave the fibers as they are; let them retain their natural strength and structure.

Hey, but I'm not a tower builder; this is merely an opinion. There could be a benefit to this if you are not putting strain on the wood in the direction the wood is already curving. A circular tower could work in this manner.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
yousef213
Division: B

Post by yousef213 »

aubrey048 wrote:I don't think there would be any benefit to this. In fact, it might be detrimental to your success. From building with balsa I know that bent wood does not do well under strain. It is best to leave the fibers as they are; let them retain their natural strength and structure.

Hey, but I'm not a tower builder; this is merely an opinion. There could be a benefit to this if you are not putting strain on the wood in the direction the wood is already curving. A circular tower could work in this manner.
Although I have never built an "arched" tower, I have built several arched bridges, so here I to data a collected (note some of it may not apply)

Pros of arched
- Gerally Stronger
- Less pieces of wood ( less weigght, less $$)
- you can have a 1-pice tower instead of a piece tower
- in theory, they only need straight, verticle pieces and it will still be strong if the arch goes like this
_ _
/ \

Cons of aches:
- If the 2 arches (or 4 rather, for the 4 legs) are not symetricale (sp?) then too much wieth will be forced on one side. However, I am sure this has a greater effect on bridges as there is less room to brace

- Harder to build (you need to steam the wood, also some wood bends beter others)

- Bass bends better than balsa so it will be slightly heavier

- While trying to get a piece to bend you may break a few pieces of wood

Now, to build anarched tower, you make a 2-d template and you use pins to hold the wood into shape. DO NOT REALEASE THE JOINTS UNTIL ALL JOINTS HAVE FULLY CURED!!!!(24hrs in general) At this point you connect with bracings.
nOte: I suggest having a rectangle base for arched towers
Gt(xbl): Gonthorian II

" In 2012 the world will truely end, for 1/2 the world will die from heart palpitations induced by panic attack, and the other half will laugh so hard they will have irregular breathing and die."
- By yousef213
12thomasal
State: NC

Post by 12thomasal »

First off. A lot of you clearly don't know what you are talking about ("in my opinion you should use levitating wood" NOT ACTUAL QUOTE) . The amount of curve you need to put in the wood is much less than most think. The minimum amount of curve based On the rules is 30dgr. If you boil, not steam, the balsa you use then you will do just fine. BTw, if you are going to build a curved bridge, give yourself for a complete 24 hours of work (12 for two people). I found that the day before competition is not the best time to wring out the super glue bottle on the tower. It takes MUCH longer than a straighttower

(post above, I was talking to the person above you. Good advice thought you finished while I was editing my post
TYG

Post by TYG »

Is it important for the balsa wood to be steamed or boiled in order to bend it? If the balsa wood is flexible enough, could you avoid steaming/boiling it? Like, does steaming/boiling the balsa wood make it stronger, or is it only to enable bending?

Return to “Towers B/C”