What type of bracing r u using???
sciolyswizzle16
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bracing

Post by sciolyswizzle16 »

would you guys suggest using both end joints and lap joints when bracing a tower?
for example, using end joints on the horizontal pieces connecting the top of the tower and the bottom of the tower then using lap joints for the rest of the bracing?
Events for 2011-2012
Forestry (2nd at regionals) (1st at states)
Chem Lab (1st at regionals) (6th at states)
Towers (8th at regionals) (10th at states)
Team (1st at regionals) (3rd at states)
12thomasal
State: NC

Post by 12thomasal »

slm, If I tilt the chimney section, does that reduce the swaying factor
SLM
Division: Grad

Post by SLM »

12thomasal wrote:slm, If I tilt the chimney section, does that reduce the swaying factor
No. The compression force in the chimney increases as the tilt angle increases. The sidesway of the chimney frame is directly proportional to the intensity of the axial force in the compression members: the larger the force the more the frame would displace. So, tilting a chimney frame actually increases the sidesway of the frame.

However, (1) the sidesway is very small to begin with, so it should not be of a major concern for most tower, and (2) the tilt angle is very small (in our case about 4 degrees), so its impact on the behavior of the tower is insignificant.
SLM
Division: Grad

Post by SLM »

sciolyswizzle16 wrote:would you guys suggest using both end joints and lap joints when bracing a tower?
for example, using end joints on the horizontal pieces connecting the top of the tower and the bottom of the tower then using lap joints for the rest of the bracing?
It can certainly be done that way. Although, you need to pay extra attention when constructing a butt joint; you need to make sure that either end of the horizontal piece is completely flat and parallel to the member it is being glued to (you want to avoid any gaps between the two pieces).

We've found that most of the time lap joints work very well even for horizontal pieces. They are easy to construct and, in most cases, their construction doesn't require a lot of precision.
sciolyswizzle16

Post by sciolyswizzle16 »

thanks SLM, i definitely will consider that
Events for 2011-2012
Forestry (2nd at regionals) (1st at states)
Chem Lab (1st at regionals) (6th at states)
Towers (8th at regionals) (10th at states)
Team (1st at regionals) (3rd at states)
yousef213
Division: B

Post by yousef213 »

on the base of the tower, or any part really,, could you skip the horizontal pieces between the x bracings, or would that weaken it significantly?
Gt(xbl): Gonthorian II

" In 2012 the world will truely end, for 1/2 the world will die from heart palpitations induced by panic attack, and the other half will laugh so hard they will have irregular breathing and die."
- By yousef213
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

yousef213 wrote:on the base of the tower, or any part really,, could you skip the horizontal pieces between the x bracings, or would that weaken it significantly?
Probably not, especially the bottom.
Key failure mode on bottom is legs spreading out (especially on a smooth surface, common in contest test setups), increasing bending load and causing premature failure or tip over. Need horizontal members around the bottom to constrain this.

Probably not on top either unless the angled pieces are fairly horzontal anyway. Again, you want to prevent the uprights from bowing out (or in) as well as sideways, and an occasional horizontal strip is an efficient way to do that.

Note, on SLM's diagrams above, the uprights without horizontal cross bars tend to bow out, those with tend to tilt.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
deezee
State: IL

Post by deezee »

i didnt have horizontal bracing, and I did better than when I had :) efficiency of 21
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
TYG

Post by TYG »

deezee wrote:i didnt have horizontal bracing, and I did better than when I had :) efficiency of 21
Was it able to hold all 15kg?

Return to “Towers B/C”