Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Balloon Task

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Balloon task.
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
questionguy
Division: C
State: VA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Balloon Task

Post by questionguy »

Is there a set size the balloon has to be?
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

questionguy wrote:Is there a set size the balloon has to be?
As long as it's easily recognizable as a balloon, you're fine.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
old
State: CA

Post by old »

The rules say that the balloon must rise only due to it's buoyancy but it never states what environmental conditions you must contend with. In the old balloon race event there were numerous cases where air currents in the room caused balloons that were actually buoyant to either simply fail to rise or, in some cases, to rise and then reverse direction and eventually settle back to the ground. Anyone have any idea what will happen if the A/C turns on while this event is going on and someone's balloon gets blown in such a way that it doesn't rise even though it is clearly buoyant?
Uncle Fester
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

This was covered in another post. Balloon Race is not Mission Possible; Good Engineering (a whole lot of reasons here) means you won't have a barely-lifting balloon, risking 250+ points, just to add 5g and 50 points in an iffy situation.

In the tournaments I've run, he quick-release, fast-rising balloons with small signs on micro weight string work. I've even seen someone WD40'ing the string (careful, it dissolves latex). Heavy signs on party ribbon that create a slow-moving balloon situation end up getting hung up on even tiny amounts of friction and wander.

Bad design is hardly the fault of the rule writers. Or the AC. And last I checked, it's January. The dash from the equipment truck to teh school entrance in 10 degree weather is a far bigger problem.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!
Primate

Post by Primate »

Does anyone have a reliable method of releasing the balloon? For regionals, we set our sand timer up to pour onto the raised side of the lever, and wedged the balloon beneath the other end. Of course, the lever wasn't in the right spot, so we had to run the string through the device and it kept getting stuck due to friction.

I'm thinking a mousetrap might do the trick.
questionguy

Post by questionguy »

Primate wrote:Does anyone have a reliable method of releasing the balloon? For regionals, we set our sand timer up to pour onto the raised side of the lever, and wedged the balloon beneath the other end. Of course, the lever wasn't in the right spot, so we had to run the string through the device and it kept getting stuck due to friction.

Mousetrap that lifts a mass sitting on the string of the balloon works perfectly
Primate

Post by Primate »

questionguy wrote:
Primate wrote:Does anyone have a reliable method of releasing the balloon? For regionals, we set our sand timer up to pour onto the raised side of the lever, and wedged the balloon beneath the other end. Of course, the lever wasn't in the right spot, so we had to run the string through the device and it kept getting stuck due to friction.

Mousetrap that lifts a mass sitting on the string of the balloon works perfectly
Apparently, you can even wedge the string between the two pieces of metal when the trap is set--then all you have to do is spring the trap. :)
questionguy

Post by questionguy »

Primate wrote:
questionguy wrote:

Apparently, you can even wedge the string between the two pieces of metal when the trap is set--then all you have to do is spring the trap. :)
Would that still count as having the sign touch the bottom of the device?
JTMess

Post by JTMess »

You would wedge the string between the parts of the mousetrap and leave plenty of slack in the string so the sign can sit on the bottom of the device on one side of the mousetrap.
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st

Return to “Mission Possible C”