Balloon Task

illusionist
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sign Task

Post by illusionist »

austinfhs wrote:How much are you guys being able to lift? Is like 15-20 grams fairly reasonable?
If you can get 15 grams, please, please tell me how you do it!!
I can get about 6 grams right now with a 12 inch mylar balloon. For states I'm going to try a 16 inch balloon.
bwy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sign Task

Post by bwy »

illusionist wrote:
austinfhs wrote:How much are you guys being able to lift? Is like 15-20 grams fairly reasonable?
If you can get 15 grams, please, please tell me how you do it!!
I can get about 6 grams right now with a 12 inch mylar balloon. For states I'm going to try a 16 inch balloon.
I was hoping for almost 30 grams...
It really depends on how big your space is for the balloon. I'm not sure if mylar's the best just because it's hard to find one that's a sphere-- most of them are 12 inches one way and about 4 the other. A sphere (latex) would be 12 inches both ways, if your device can fit it.
illusionist

Re: Balloon Task

Post by illusionist »

Where did you find the 12 inch spherical balloon? I know you can find them online, but are there any stores that sell those latex balloons? I might just buy them online then...
NinjaChicken

Post by NinjaChicken »

Hey guys, I'm having troubles with the quantities of vinegar and baking soda that is needed to make the balloon expand. So far in all of my tests, the balloon has only been able to stand upright, but not expand. I've used about a quarter of a spoonful of baking soda with about 3 pipette-full shots of the largest of http://www.biolinki.com/modules/Consuma ... ipette.png these pipettes.

EDIT: Sorry, nevermind. I got frustrated and dumped a whole bunch together, and I realized I just needed a whole lot more than I was using XD
Image Image
butter side up
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by butter side up »

illusionist wrote:We measure out the baking soda with a teaspoon, and the vinegar with a syringe; so I know that the amounts are consistent every time. I'll try minimizing the amount of inflation needed.
The problem with measuring baking soda with a spoon is that the actual amount you are getting will vary widely depending on how compacted the baking soda is in the spoon. I've found by experimenting that there can easily be a 50% difference, by weight in the actual amount between packed down and loosely sifted. If you can weigh your baking soda that will give you more consistency.
Also, as baking soda gets old, it loses potency. That can affect your reaction, as well.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

its a little to late for that, but thanks

Return to “Mission Possible C”