Balloon Task

Primate
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Balloon Task

Post by Primate »

JTMess wrote:You would wedge the string between the parts of the mousetrap and leave plenty of slack in the string so the sign can sit on the bottom of the device on one side of the mousetrap.
Speaking of which, what counts as the lowest point in the device? My device is a box with feet on it, and there's really no way to get the sign all the way to the bottom... >.< Fortunately my regionals judge was lenient.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
Flavorflav
Division: Grad

Post by Flavorflav »

Primate wrote:
JTMess wrote:You would wedge the string between the parts of the mousetrap and leave plenty of slack in the string so the sign can sit on the bottom of the device on one side of the mousetrap.
Speaking of which, what counts as the lowest point in the device? My device is a box with feet on it, and there's really no way to get the sign all the way to the bottom... >.< Fortunately my regionals judge was lenient.
Why does it have feet on it?
Primate

Post by Primate »

Flavorflav wrote:
Primate wrote:
Why does it have feet on it?
There's wiring underneath and switches that protrude from the bottom plank--it would be largely unsteady without the feet. It's the same device we used last year, when there was obviously no such task.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Primate wrote: There's wiring underneath and switches that protrude from the bottom plank--it would be largely unsteady without the feet. It's the same device we used last year, when there was obviously no such task.
Are we talking about one inch or six? If it's one, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but maybe one of the more experienced mission judges would care to weigh in.
Uncle Fester
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

Legs shouldn't be a problem; but protruding switches extends your dimensions. For decades the box was imaginary. Many complaints here over the years, " Judge measured the outside of the box."
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!
Primate

Post by Primate »

Uncle Fester wrote:Legs shouldn't be a problem; but protruding switches extends your dimensions. For decades the box was imaginary. Many complaints here over the years, " Judge measured the outside of the box."
Oh don't worry, the device is well within all size limitations. The feet are probably about two inches--this is what it looks like:
DeltaHat

Post by DeltaHat »

[Deleted. Misread rules]
Last edited by DeltaHat on February 15th, 2011, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Event Supervisor - Mission Possible
questionguy
State: VA

Post by questionguy »

DeltaHat wrote:Rule 2.b is very clear. All parts of the device must fit ....

There is no mention of an imaginary box this year. Either everything fits, or it does not.
That is not true, the rules sheet that I have states "All parts of the device must fit within an imaginary box (50 cm X 50 cm X 80 cm)". As long as it fits in that imaginary box, you won't get penalized.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Primate, I wouldn't have a problem because the rule says "the lowest point in the device" (emphasis added), not of the imaginary box. If your sign starts on the floor, it is at the lowest point in the device. Now, if you have anything other than wiring under the floor that would be a different matter.
sciencegirl23

Post by sciencegirl23 »

questionguy wrote: That is not true, the rules sheet that I have states "All parts of the device must fit within an imaginary box (50 cm X 50 cm X 80 cm)". As long as it fits in that imaginary box, you won't get penalized.
Does the balloon have to fit inside this box? At my regionals, there were teams who had the balloon started above the height of the box..and they weren't penalized. :?
2012 events~!

microbe mission, water quality, disease detectives, write it do it.

Return to “Mission Possible C”