Balloon Task

Primate
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Balloon Task

Post by Primate »

Don't forget that sand timers will have five to ten seconds of variability, depending on how fast the non sand timer tasks take. Also, I see this more as an engineering project than a science experiment. You have to design your device to overcome these random factors, however unfair, rather than .

Not that a problem like this wouldn't be frustrating.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

I am using baking soda and vinegar to inflate my balloon. The balloon then hits a switch. The problem is that the balloon takes different amounts of time every other run. Are your reactions reliable? If not, what did you do to fix the problem?
Primate

Post by Primate »

illusionist wrote:I am using baking soda and vinegar to inflate my balloon. The balloon then hits a switch. The problem is that the balloon takes different amounts of time every other run. Are your reactions reliable? If not, what did you do to fix the problem?
Are you using the exact same amount of baking soda/vinegar each run? If not, measure it out and see if that helps. (Ours never varied by a more than a second, which was perfect.)
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by twototwenty »

Also, have the balloon only need to expand minimally to push the switch. The more expanding necessary, the less reliable the timing will be.
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

We measure out the baking soda with a teaspoon, and the vinegar with a syringe; so I know that the amounts are consistent every time. I'll try minimizing the amount of inflation needed.
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by Paradox21 »

old wrote: The answer you seem to be suggesting is to arbitrarily carry a certain amount of extra buoyancy (how much? enough for a 0.1 M/S down draft or a 1/M/S updraft?) and hope you made the right choice.
You have a half hour to set up and practice. You can test the exact buoyancy of your balloon at that location during that time and fine tune the mass of your sign.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

For that reason, I have made my mass adjustable. Basically I use clay to add or remove mass from my sign. There is a little container on the bottom of the sign to hold the clay.
NinjaChicken

Post by NinjaChicken »

illusionist wrote:For that reason, I have made my mass adjustable. Basically I use clay to add or remove mass from my sign. There is a little container on the bottom of the sign to hold the clay.
That's almost exactly what I did. I made the 'sign' out of a napkin, and folded it like an envelope so I could add mass to it as needed.
Image Image
austinfhs
State: CA

Post by austinfhs »

How much are you guys being able to lift? Is like 15-20 grams fairly reasonable?
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

Just saying, I think this is the balloon inflation task. The sign stuff should go over to the Sign Task thread.
So I'm going to carry this discussion over to that thread.

Return to “Mission Possible C”