Effervescence Task

paronomasia
Division: C
State: AZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Effervescence Task

Post by paronomasia »

Are you guys using foil balloons or rubber ones? Haven't been able to get my hands on the foil variety yet.

Also: Any (simple) ideas for triggering this task?
lonestar
State: TX

Post by lonestar »

I'm using foil so far. Latex just deflates too quickly. I tried a few, they were too weak to rise with my sign after a couple hours. You can get foil balloons pretty much anywhere. I get mine from the dollar store.
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

lonestar wrote:I'm using foil so far. Latex just deflates too quickly. I tried a few, they were too weak to rise with my sign after a couple hours. You can get foil balloons pretty much anywhere. I get mine from the dollar store.
Foil for the the effervescence task, too? I think latex would actually be a little easier to reliably inflate.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
lonestar
State: TX

Post by lonestar »

Oh, sorry ha ha, wrong task! My mind's somewhere else it seems. I have a latex balloon attached to the mouth of a powerade bottle. The balloon is lying down, filled with vinegar. The bottle has baking soda in it. A string pulls the balloon up enough for the vinegar to fall into the bottle.
jarrred_1415
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by jarrred_1415 »

Does anyone know if you can use a stronger concetration of vinegar? like Pure acetic acid? because its still vinegar, its just strong vinegar.
paronomasia
State: AZ

Post by paronomasia »

jarrred_1415 wrote:Does anyone know if you can use a stronger concetration of vinegar? like Pure acetic acid? because its still vinegar, its just strong vinegar.
Pure acetic acid is really strong; you have to use the fume hood when you use it.

Does anyone know what the chemical reaction is? HC2H3O2 + CaCO3 --> ?
lonestar wrote:Oh, sorry ha ha, wrong task! My mind's somewhere else it seems. I have a latex balloon attached to the mouth of a powerade bottle. The balloon is lying down, filled with vinegar. The bottle has baking soda in it. A string pulls the balloon up enough for the vinegar to fall into the bottle.
Haha, my bad too. I was thinking about the last task. :mrgreen:
Primate

Post by Primate »

paronomasia wrote:
jarrred_1415 wrote:Does anyone know if you can use a stronger concetration of vinegar? like Pure acetic acid? because its still vinegar, its just strong vinegar.
Pure acetic acid is really strong; you have to use the fume hood when you use it.

Does anyone know what the chemical reaction is? HC2H3O2 + CaCO3 --> ?

I think that's it.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

jarrred_1415 wrote:Does anyone know if you can use a stronger concentration of vinegar? like Pure acetic acid? because its still vinegar, its just strong vinegar.
I think acetic acid is acetic acid, not vinegar (vinegar may have acetic acid in it, but it has other components as well). If it didn't come in a container marked vinegar, it's subject to being disallowed and the chance of winning an appeal almost non-existent.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
Curt
State: MI

Post by Curt »

Has anyone figured out the right ratio of the vinegar to baking soda to create the most gas to fill our balloon?

or any combinations of substances that would work better?

thank you!
Primate

Post by Primate »

Curt wrote:Has anyone figured out the right ratio of the vinegar to baking soda to create the most gas to fill our balloon?

or any combinations of substances that would work better?

thank you!
I don't think you have to worry about a ratio; the more baking soda/vinegar you have, the more gas you produce.

Return to “Mission Possible C”