Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Circular to Linear Task

Post by Paradox21 »

bwy wrote:
Paradox21 wrote:If you have any mousetraps with string tied to their kill bar, you have a circular to linear right there.
Sounds like a good idea except mousetraps "don't count as a simple machine" so wouldn't they not count for any tasks (besides the first one, of course)
I thought that initially too, but I sent in an FAQ to SOinc and was told
Clarification wrote:No part of a mousetrap can be counted as a simple machine part as indicated
in tasks "b" through "e". For example, a mousetrap can be used in task "b",
but the mousetrap can not count as the "wedge". The 3rd-class lever in task
"e" can not be a mousetrap. Mousetraps can be used for other tasks, but will
not count as simple machines in any task (most importantly for scoring on
tasks b-e).
And since the mousetrap in a circular to linear task would behave as a circular motion device, not a simple machine, it should be legit to use for this task.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
DeltaHat

Re: Circular to Linear

Post by DeltaHat »

Primate wrote:
Dark Sabre wrote:National FAQ/clarifications do supersede any opinions voiced on here. I don't agree with their ruling and I'm still not sure where gearmotors fall based on that FAQ, but that's how it is.
I feel like this year's mission clarifications were really based on intent. (Well, we meant this, even though the rule suggests something different...)

I also fail to see how banning gears makes this task any different/harder.
Funny how that works. When I first put "Circular to linear" into the rules, i wrote it as "demonstrate centripetal force". Somewhere between the rules being submitted to the rules being published it got changed to the much watered down "Circular to linear" task it is now.
National Event Supervisor - Mission Possible
Primate
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Circular to Linear

Post by Primate »

DeltaHat wrote:
Primate wrote:
Dark Sabre wrote:National FAQ/clarifications do supersede any opinions voiced on here. I don't agree with their ruling and I'm still not sure where gearmotors fall based on that FAQ, but that's how it is.
I feel like this year's mission clarifications were really based on intent. (Well, we meant this, even though the rule suggests something different...)

I also fail to see how banning gears makes this task any different/harder.
Funny how that works. When I first put "Circular to linear" into the rules, i wrote it as "demonstrate centripetal force". Somewhere between the rules being submitted to the rules being published it got changed to the much watered down "Circular to linear" task it is now.
Ohh, that's much more exciting. What were the original parameters for causing the next action? (Did you have to use the centripetal force somehow?)
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
NinjaChicken
State: MI

Post by NinjaChicken »

Ok, so our SciOly team is done this year, but my Physics teacher assigned stuff like Towers, Mousetrap and Mission Possible. **for class
He said for the Circular to linear task, a string attached to a mousetrap wouldn't work because the string still moves up and down.. what say you guys?
Image Image
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

That's what makes it circular to linear. The mousetrap killbar moves in a circular path, and if the string is hanging below the mousetrap, but attached to the killbar, then it will move vertically up and down, which is a linear motion.
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

I would be careful with this interpretation/implementation, it's definitely pushing the limits of the tasks and your success will likely depend a lot on how well you can convince your event supervisor of its validity. Instead, I'd suggest adding a simple intermediary step with a wheel and axle. Have the line on the mousetrap pull either the wheel or axle and then use the other component as a winch with another string pulling something. Any event supervisor would be hard-pressed to argue against that task.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

I believe Ninja said it was for a school project. Anyways chalker, that would be a good idea for a competition...
NinjaChicken

Post by NinjaChicken »

Yeah.. oh well, I guess I'll go with the DC motor as a winch idea, I don't think my teacher will give it to me haha.
Image Image
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

illusionist wrote:I believe Ninja said it was for a school project. Anyways chalker, that would be a good idea for a competition...
Oh, I apologize for not reading closely enough. Regardless, I would still suggest that method for competitions (if you are planning on using a mousetrap like that).
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
NinjaChicken

Post by NinjaChicken »

illusionist wrote:That's what makes it circular to linear. The mousetrap killbar moves in a circular path, and if the string is hanging below the mousetrap, but attached to the killbar, then it will move vertically up and down, which is a linear motion.
The first time I read this, I read it wrong, but now I see what you're saying. That's a good point, I'll bring it up to him tomorrow, thanks.
Image Image

Return to “Mission Possible C”