missionimpossible
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Circular to Linear Task

Post by missionimpossible »

You can't combine tasks?
Okay what about a lever moving in an arc (150 degrees), turning on a switch?
Gooblah

Post by Gooblah »

Originally my team was planning on running a simple Lego piston, but that just seems iffy right now.

Regardless, we need an alternative. The way I interpreted the task was conversion of angular velocity to linear velocity - so a piston would be the rotating piece causing the arm to move forwards and backwards. A ball rolling down a track seems a bit too simple, though - it's just gravity weighing it downwards, no real conversion since technically it wouldn't need to be spinning in the first place to have that linear motion. I guess another idea would be using a motor to raise a mass on a loop? The circular motion of the loop would translate to the linear motion of the mass, although I really dislike having to use motors. Just a pet peeve of mine. Any other suggestions?
Events: Remote Sensing, Chem. Lab, It's About Time, Dynamic Planet, Mission Possible, Env. Chem. The latter two I found out I had to do 4 weeks before Regionals. Fun, fun, fun.
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

Gooblah wrote:Originally my team was planning on running a simple Lego piston, but that just seems iffy right now.

Regardless, we need an alternative. The way I interpreted the task was conversion of angular velocity to linear velocity - so a piston would be the rotating piece causing the arm to move forwards and backwards. A ball rolling down a track seems a bit too simple, though - it's just gravity weighing it downwards, no real conversion since technically it wouldn't need to be spinning in the first place to have that linear motion. I guess another idea would be using a motor to raise a mass on a loop? The circular motion of the loop would translate to the linear motion of the mass, although I really dislike having to use motors. Just a pet peeve of mine. Any other suggestions?
You don't even need the mass to be on a loop. Just have the motor wind up the string, and you'll be converting circular motion of the shaft into linear motion of the mass. (How were you planning on running a piston without a motor?)

@missionimpossible, no, you can't combine tasks. It's clearly listed somewhere, along with the restriction on parallel tasks.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
NikitaB
State: NM

Post by NikitaB »

What about using a motor to turn a disc with a stick spanning the radius? The disc turns while the stick pushes a ball along a ramp, converting linear to circular.
questionguy
State: VA

Post by questionguy »

NikitaB wrote:What about using a motor to turn a disc with a stick spanning the radius? The disc turns while the stick pushes a ball along a ramp, converting linear to circular.

I think you have to convert circular to linear, not the other way around.
Primate

Post by Primate »

questionguy wrote:
NikitaB wrote:What about using a motor to turn a disc with a stick spanning the radius? The disc turns while the stick pushes a ball along a ramp, converting linear to circular.

I think you have to convert circular to linear, not the other way around.
What he describes meets the criteria; I think he just mistyped.
Flavorflav
Division: Grad

Post by Flavorflav »

Does it? I'm still not at all confident that a rolling ball is going to count as linear.
NikitaB
State: NM

Post by NikitaB »

Sorry, I mistyped indeed. It passed the state tournament judges...
Primate

Post by Primate »

Flavorflav wrote:Does it? I'm still not at all confident that a rolling ball is going to count as linear.
I see it as a rotating motor (circular) moving a ball in a linear fashion. I agree that a rolling ball alone (where you say its rotational energy is converted into its own translational kinetic energy) is questionable.
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

If I use the winch system for my IMA 3 pulley task, can I use the system again? Not the exact same motor and string, but the same idea.

Also, if i was to use the winch system again, could I use string to lift up a balloon containing baking soda? The balloon will be lying down, connected to a beaker of vinegar.

Return to “Mission Possible C”