Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Circular to Linear

Post by aubrey048 »

How odd. How is it an infraction on the rules? (I'm not very up-to-date on the rules this year as I didn't do MP this time...)
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
bwy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by bwy »

aubrey048 wrote:How odd. How is it an infraction on the rules? (I'm not very up-to-date on the rules this year as I didn't do MP this time...)
I don't think it breaks the rules or anything. But a ball rolling doesn't mean that it's actually circular motion doing the work. In that case, it was the ball's linear motion (moving forward) that caused another linear motion, which doesn't cut it at all.

The DC motor acting as a winch seems like the best way to go.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

If I was using the winch system (circular to linear task) and then used the pulled string to raise and stack the five blocks (blocks task), that would not be parallel tasks right? The motor pulls the string in a linear motion up, which then raises the blocks. I think it would be fine under the rules, just wanted to get more opinions.
nationalsapipedream
State: TX

Post by nationalsapipedream »

I also used the winch system. However after reading the clarifications and seeing that no gears were allowed...I was wondering does the motor have gears inside of it that would cost points for the task?
yousmellchinese123

Post by yousmellchinese123 »

nationalsapipedream wrote:I also used the winch system. However after reading the clarifications and seeing that no gears were allowed...I was wondering does the motor have gears inside of it that would cost points for the task?
I had asked this question earlier in the year and Dark Sabre and Primate do a good job explaining it here ;) :
http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... 8&start=15
The (Original?) Circular to Linear Task Thread.
2010 Events: Elevated Bridge, Mission Possible, Ornithology, Astronomy, Experimental Design
2011 Events: Mission Possible, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek
2012 Events: Robot Arm, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek, Thermodynamics
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre »

National FAQ/clarifications do supersede any opinions voiced on here. I don't agree with their ruling and I'm still not sure where gearmotors fall based on that FAQ, but that's how it is.
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

Dark Sabre wrote:National FAQ/clarifications do supersede any opinions voiced on here. I don't agree with their ruling and I'm still not sure where gearmotors fall based on that FAQ, but that's how it is.
I feel like this year's mission clarifications were really based on intent. (Well, we meant this, even though the rule suggests something different...)

I also fail to see how banning gears makes this task any different/harder.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KY

Re: Circular to Linear Task

Post by Dark Sabre »

I always assumed that what they were trying to prevent was using a rack and pinion gear setup when they said "no gears" in the rules. But yeah, there are tons of other easy ways to do it.
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

I used a small motor that pretty clearly has no gears in it. If I had a crazy event supervisor, I could probably find an identical motor in my box somewhere and crack it open to show that there are no gears inside. But if I were really worried about it, I could change my TSL because I have at least 2 other instances of circular to linear in my device. If you have any mousetraps with string tied to their kill bar, you have a circular to linear right there.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
bwy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by bwy »

Paradox21 wrote:If you have any mousetraps with string tied to their kill bar, you have a circular to linear right there.
Sounds like a good idea except mousetraps "don't count as a simple machine" so wouldn't they not count for any tasks (besides the first one, of course)

Return to “Mission Possible C”