Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Circular to Linear Task

Post by Primate »

Flavorflav wrote:
Primate wrote:
elmono wrote:Would a fan work as circular motion that blows a marble forward?? Technically the motion of the fan is circular and you are changing another objects motion to linear??
Yep! See, the difference is, you're harnessing the energy and the undoubtedly circular motion of the fan to move the car forward, linearly.
He didn't say car, he said marble. I would think a car is much safer than a marble, because parts of it are moving linearly. I would not be at all confident that any rolling object would qualify as linear.
Oh good call, I completely missed that. Well, so long as the object's position is changing (in one direction only, of course), I feel like it should qualify. But you're right, a car is safer.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
SPChroshaw

Post by SPChroshaw »

Would having a non-geared motor winding a string that pulled a mass count? The rotation of the motor is the circular motion and the forward movement of the mass is linear motion.
Primate

Post by Primate »

SPChroshaw wrote:Would having a non-geared motor winding a string that pulled a mass count? The rotation of the motor is the circular motion and the forward movement of the mass is linear motion.
That's a winch, so yep.
sciencegirl23
Division: Grad

Post by sciencegirl23 »

Primate wrote:
elmono wrote:Would a fan work as circular motion that blows a marble forward?? Technically the motion of the fan is circular and you are changing another objects motion to linear??
Yep! See, the difference is, you're harnessing the energy and the undoubtedly circular motion of the fan to move the car forward, linearly.
I used this as my circular to linear step and they wouldn't accept it :(
2012 events~!

microbe mission, water quality, disease detectives, write it do it.
KNielsen
State: KY

Post by KNielsen »

Another device that could be used is a rubber band or string suspending a weight. The band could be twisted enough so that it contracts upward while hanging onto the weight. When released, the string or band would uncoil (circular motion) and would drop down (linear). This would eliminate the need for gear ratios and hoping a judge interprets the rules as you did.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

I put this in as a clarification but I haven't heard back yet and I am burning to get an opinion, so I will ask for an advisory opinion from you all: does a device have to complete a full rotation to be considered circular motion? Tmanneo asked this back in September, but I think I was the only one who weighed in. My feeling is that anything swinging around a pivot for any distance would count. What do you think?
JTMess

Post by JTMess »

We are using two different objects like a motor turning in circular motion in order to pull a mass in linear motion.
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st
Primate

Post by Primate »

Flavorflav wrote:I put this in as a clarification but I haven't heard back yet and I am burning to get an opinion, so I will ask for an advisory opinion from you all: does a device have to complete a full rotation to be considered circular motion? Tmanneo asked this back in September, but I think I was the only one who weighed in. My feeling is that anything swinging around a pivot for any distance would count. What do you think?
I think the duck test works well here. When you look at the device, you should be able to go "oh wow, circular to linear!" without having to think about it.

I still highly recommend using a winch. No gearing, you'll make dozens of rotations, and it's clearly circular to linear.
missionimpossible
State: MI

Post by missionimpossible »

Soooo....
A fan knocking over a piece of wood works...
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Yeah, but that's the moving air task. You going to do it twice?

Return to “Mission Possible C”