Temperature Task

illusionist
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Temperature Task

Post by illusionist »

bwy wrote:
noahb1110 wrote:My temperature task is nearly instantaneous, it take like half a second.
Are you going to just drop that hint without telling us what it is? ;)
I was thinking the same thing. I think he's trying to tempt us :P
Could you please share your task idea with us?
bwy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by bwy »

How would I be able to use a thermistor for this task? I was thinking making it colder with an ice pack would increase its resistance, but what could that trigger? If anyone has one, where did they get it? I don't really understand what thermistor (how much resistance, etc.) I would need for a standard 6V DC motor. Help?
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

How are you guys heating your bimetallic coils? I understand you can heat it up with a battery, but how do you cool it down at the right time in your device?
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

illusionist wrote:How are you guys heating your bimetallic coils? I understand you can heat it up with a battery, but how do you cool it down at the right time in your device?
Wire it up to a battery with a NC switch, and then just push the switch with something. If you get a sensitive bimetallic strip, it only takes a few seconds to cool down.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

So if it is the second to last task, the battery will be heating it up the whole time the device is running right? Doesn't that take up a lot of juice from the battery?
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by Paradox21 »

illusionist wrote:So if it is the second to last task, the battery will be heating it up the whole time the device is running right? Doesn't that take up a lot of juice from the battery?
Just a reminder, you can't use any electricity after the sand timer task. So unless your device doesn't have a sand timer task, you will have to put the task earlier if you plan to use a battery. I do my temperature task as the second task, to prevent killing my batteries.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

Yeah, i realized that, just gave a random example. So if you were using a 6V battery, how long does the battery last? I mean, how many test runs can you do? I think I might put it in early too to save some juice.
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by Paradox21 »

illusionist wrote:Yeah, i realized that, just gave a random example. So if you were using a 6V battery, how long does the battery last? I mean, how many test runs can you do? I think I might put it in early too to save some juice.
If you plug it in immediately before you start your run, it only needs to be on for a few seconds. With that duration, a single battery pack could last the rest of the season. But we inevitably forget that it is turned on at times and it all drains in a couple minutes. But overall this year, I have not gone through nearly as many batteries as last year, so it's not too bad.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

illusionist wrote:Yeah, i realized that, just gave a random example. So if you were using a 6V battery, how long does the battery last? I mean, how many test runs can you do? I think I might put it in early too to save some juice.
Definitely. Make it your second or third task, if you can. It shouldn't much matter for this year's tasks, though; my guess is everyone has the first eight tasks, which only take four or five seconds (so who cares where you put it), then sand timer for a minute, then balloon release.

Those 6V batteries have a lot of juice. We used one in an electromagnet last year that lasted for 15ish minutes. If you shut it off first thing in your device, you really shouldn't have to replace it until competition. (Note: High school physics departments often buy lots and lots of these batteries. Go mooch.)
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

Well... I got a meat thermometer, took it apart (or should I say broke it apart), and to my disappointment found that it had a curly bimetallic strip inside. It is about 4 inches long, pretty thin, and curled up like a spring. I'll pass some current through it later, but has anyone else found success with these? Is there any way for me to make use of this thing?
Edit: I ran electricity through it and it started to make smoke... I'm guessing that's a bad thing... Oh, by the way Primate, it was a Acu-rite thermometer.

Return to “Mission Possible C”