Blocks Task

questionguy
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Blocks Task

Post by questionguy »

Antinoch wrote:So the next event has to be triggered by weight? That's the only thing I can think of that uses the whole stack.
Not necessarily, you can wrap each one in aluminum foil and use the last block to connect a circuit
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

Antinoch wrote:So the next event has to be triggered by weight? That's the only thing I can think of that uses the whole stack.
You could potentially use height, too. A microswitch at the level of the whole stack would do it.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
zcshiner
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by zcshiner »

Primate wrote:You could potentially use height, too. A microswitch at the level of the whole stack would do it.
That would be if you were stacking the blocks from the bottom up, right?
ichaelm

Post by ichaelm »

zcshiner wrote:
Primate wrote:You could potentially use height, too. A microswitch at the level of the whole stack would do it.
That would be if you were stacking the blocks from the bottom up, right?
As opposed to...
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

I don't think there's any other way to stack blocks...
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
zcshiner

Post by zcshiner »

AlphaTauri wrote:I don't think there's any other way to stack blocks...
Bad phrasing on my part. If one were to use a microswitch at the top level, assuming the blocks are being lowered or dropped, each would pass by that microswitch triggering it on its way down. That's no good. The microswitch should be triggered when the top block is in position. I was implying that they would have to be raised (somehow) hence bottom up. I'm not sure how else you would trigger a microswitch only when the top block is in position.
Primate

Post by Primate »

zcshiner wrote:
AlphaTauri wrote:I don't think there's any other way to stack blocks...
Bad phrasing on my part. If one were to use a microswitch at the top level, assuming the blocks are being lowered or dropped, each would pass by that microswitch triggering it on its way down. That's no good. The microswitch should be triggered when the top block is in position. I was implying that they would have to be raised (somehow) hence bottom up. I'm not sure how else you would trigger a microswitch only when the top block is in position.
I was envisioning drilling holes through each block, and running a string through them. Tighten the string vertically, and there's your stack of blocks and a triggered microswitch. (Of course, you'd have to loosen the string back up so that the stack wasn't "supported" by the string.)
yousmellchinese123

Post by yousmellchinese123 »

So, for this task, I just want to ask for your thoughts on a clarification.

The clarification states, "•01/11/2011 - 17:48 Can the blocks have a rod going through the middle?
According to the rules, each block must completely support the blocks stacked on top of it. If the judge decides that a block is resting on a rod going through the middle of the blocks, the rod would be supporting some of the block and then the task would not be considered complete. "

I was thinking of running fishing wire through the middle, and the thought that the block may touch the wire has frightened me. Do you think that most judges would consider the slight tough of block and wire not "fully supporting" the block on top of it?

Thank you in advance!
2010 Events: Elevated Bridge, Mission Possible, Ornithology, Astronomy, Experimental Design
2011 Events: Mission Possible, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek
2012 Events: Robot Arm, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek, Thermodynamics
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

zcshiner wrote:I'm not sure how else you would trigger a microswitch only when the top block is in position.
Use 2 switches (one for the last block and one for the next-to-last block) wired as an AND circuit (switches in series). The current can only pass through when both blocks are in place at the same time.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
Primate

Post by Primate »

yousmellchinese123 wrote:So, for this task, I just want to ask for your thoughts on a clarification.

The clarification states, "•01/11/2011 - 17:48 Can the blocks have a rod going through the middle?
According to the rules, each block must completely support the blocks stacked on top of it. If the judge decides that a block is resting on a rod going through the middle of the blocks, the rod would be supporting some of the block and then the task would not be considered complete. "

I was thinking of running fishing wire through the middle, and the thought that the block may touch the wire has frightened me. Do you think that most judges would consider the slight tough of block and wire not "fully supporting" the block on top of it?

Thank you in advance!
My personal philosophy is that if the blocks still stack if you slacken the string, it counts. Of course, my personal philosophy isn't what matters here. (They've accepted it at invitationals and regionals so far, but neither judge was very strict.)

Return to “Mission Possible C”