Blocks Task

Jarwain
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Blocks Task

Post by Jarwain »

Well, regional is in under two days, and our teacher-person Just bought the rest of our supplies today. So tomorrow is going to be a long day.
I was wondering if this would be considered legal, and not a parallel task, and I hope I can get a quick response:

My plan is tying together the hydraulics and the 5block stacking, which will set off the sand timer. My effervescence (sp?) event will push a block off a ledge, landing on a scale (left end of the scale). (Similar to that scale of justice or something. The really simple one where when one end is heavier it lowers and the other end rises, and vice versa. )
Pushing down on the scale will push down on one end of the syringe(syringe1, on the right end) (which is connected to another syringe by some tubing(Whats the difference between pneumatic and hydraulics? Is the hydraulics based on water and the pneumatic air-based?)) which will push up the other end of the syringe(syringe2, on the left end).
Above syringe 2 are the 5 blocks. The 5 blocks are on separate platforms, with a hinge on the right side. This allows the platform to be angled, allowing the block to slide and fall onto the scale. it will slide, there will be some wood to direct the path, and it would hit the scale. This mass would push down on the hydraulics more, pushing syringe 1 lower, and allowing syringe 2 to rise more. This would tilt the next platform, allowing the block to slide and fall. The cycle continues (and the blocks have magnets embedded within them to help support.. hehehe) until all five blocks are on the left end of the scale. This will allow the right end of the scale to rise enough to pull the paper away from the sand timer, allowing the sand to escape.

Is this good? Plausible? Will it work? :D
yousmellchinese123

Post by yousmellchinese123 »

Primate wrote:
yousmellchinese123 wrote:So, for this task, I just want to ask for your thoughts on a clarification.

The clarification states, "•01/11/2011 - 17:48 Can the blocks have a rod going through the middle?
According to the rules, each block must completely support the blocks stacked on top of it. If the judge decides that a block is resting on a rod going through the middle of the blocks, the rod would be supporting some of the block and then the task would not be considered complete. "

I was thinking of running fishing wire through the middle, and the thought that the block may touch the wire has frightened me. Do you think that most judges would consider the slight tough of block and wire not "fully supporting" the block on top of it?

Thank you in advance!
My personal philosophy is that if the blocks still stack if you slacken the string, it counts. Of course, my personal philosophy isn't what matters here. (They've accepted it at invitationals and regionals so far, but neither judge was very strict.)
Thank you, it seems pretty reasonable too.
2010 Events: Elevated Bridge, Mission Possible, Ornithology, Astronomy, Experimental Design
2011 Events: Mission Possible, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek
2012 Events: Robot Arm, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek, Thermodynamics
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

Jarwain wrote:Well, regional is in under two days, and our teacher-person Just bought the rest of our supplies today. So tomorrow is going to be a long day.
I was wondering if this would be considered legal, and not a parallel task, and I hope I can get a quick response:

My plan is tying together the hydraulics and the 5block stacking, which will set off the sand timer. My effervescence (sp?) event will push a block off a ledge, landing on a scale (left end of the scale). (Similar to that scale of justice or something. The really simple one where when one end is heavier it lowers and the other end rises, and vice versa. )
Pushing down on the scale will push down on one end of the syringe(syringe1, on the right end) (which is connected to another syringe by some tubing(Whats the difference between pneumatic and hydraulics? Is the hydraulics based on water and the pneumatic air-based?)) which will push up the other end of the syringe(syringe2, on the left end).
Above syringe 2 are the 5 blocks. The 5 blocks are on separate platforms, with a hinge on the right side. This allows the platform to be angled, allowing the block to slide and fall onto the scale. it will slide, there will be some wood to direct the path, and it would hit the scale. This mass would push down on the hydraulics more, pushing syringe 1 lower, and allowing syringe 2 to rise more. This would tilt the next platform, allowing the block to slide and fall. The cycle continues (and the blocks have magnets embedded within them to help support.. hehehe) until all five blocks are on the left end of the scale. This will allow the right end of the scale to rise enough to pull the paper away from the sand timer, allowing the sand to escape.

Is this good? Plausible? Will it work? :D
The device you are talking about is called a pan balance (or two pan balance). The first problem I foresee is that I doubt that any block light enough to be easily dislodged by the balloon will be heavy enough to depress the plunger of the syringe.
missionimpossible
State: MI

Post by missionimpossible »

Sooo I was thinking that I could have a string through each block and then have something pull it up...but i am not sure what...maybe the IMA 3 pulley thing
I have no idea what to make it do though...how would i use it as part of a circuit or something with magnets...
Also is there another way i can do this, possible involving another step :?:
JTMess

Post by JTMess »

missionimpossible wrote:Sooo I was thinking that I could have a string through each block and then have something pull it up...but i am not sure what...maybe the IMA 3 pulley thing
I have no idea what to make it do though...how would i use it as part of a circuit or something with magnets...
That should work but in order to stack the blocks, you have to drop them instead of pulling them up. Just coat the blocks in metal to have them complete a circuit.
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st
missionimpossible

Post by missionimpossible »

That should work but in order to stack the blocks, you have to drop them instead of pulling them up. Just coat the blocks in metal to have them complete a circuit.[/quote]

How could it be dropped without falling over? Do you have any ideas that possibly incorporates other tasks?
Gooblah

Post by Gooblah »

So the team's come up with a few ideas:
1) Stolen from soinc.org: Paper clips between each block, and then solenoid pulls out the paper clips. The blocks fall onto each other and stack, ostensibly doing...something.
2) Drill a hole through the blocks and stick a dowel in there. The dowel starts horizontally and then swings vertical, dropping the blocks in a stack. However, there are several problems; namely, the blocks drop off one by one instead of as a stack, so instead of a vertical stack we have a horizontal mess.
3) Same as above, but a curved track so to speak catches each block and drops it into a stack.

Originally we were going with Idea #1, but with the outlawed corral. Dropped the corral, tried Idea #2. Switching to Idea #3, but while it's great in theory, actually forming the right curve and stuff is pretty difficult. Any other suggestions?
Events: Remote Sensing, Chem. Lab, It's About Time, Dynamic Planet, Mission Possible, Env. Chem. The latter two I found out I had to do 4 weeks before Regionals. Fun, fun, fun.
Primate

Post by Primate »

JTMess wrote:
missionimpossible wrote:Sooo I was thinking that I could have a string through each block and then have something pull it up...but i am not sure what...maybe the IMA 3 pulley thing
That should work but in order to stack the blocks, you have to drop them instead of pulling them up. Just coat the blocks in metal to have them complete a circuit.
Why do you have to drop them? Pulling them up with a string has been valid at the two competitions I've been at.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
nationalsapipedream
State: TX

Post by nationalsapipedream »

So are all these clarifications only going to be available to national coordinators and judges? I was unable to find the clarifications that all of you guys have mentioned concerning the blocks on the soinc.org website. Out of both of the meets I've now been to I have seen 3 teams use the SAME method for stacking. They have lined them up on a board and raised the board into a corral or wall or corner. Either way they are violating the rules as clarified by the submissions that you guys have sent in. However all of them were given full credit for the task.

So at the state level are the judges going to know about these clarifications or only have their best judgement?

P.S. I'm in Texas and it's run by Aggies, who are usually a little more lax and lenient.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

nationalsapipedream wrote:So are all these clarifications only going to be available to national coordinators and judges? I was unable to find the clarifications that all of you guys have mentioned concerning the blocks on the soinc.org website. Out of both of the meets I've now been to I have seen 3 teams use the SAME method for stacking. They have lined them up on a board and raised the board into a corral or wall or corner. Either way they are violating the rules as clarified by the submissions that you guys have sent in. However all of them were given full credit for the task.

So at the state level are the judges going to know about these clarifications or only have their best judgement?

P.S. I'm in Texas and it's run by Aggies, who are usually a little more lax and lenient.
It doesn't say a corral is illegal, it just says that it will be up to the judges to determine whether or not the blocks are fully supported. This is a bit scary, because you are flying without a net - if the judge rules against you, you have no grounds for appeal.

Here is the FAQ: http://soinc.org/node/651

Return to “Mission Possible C”