Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Blocks Task

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Blocks task.
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
blazer
Division: C
State: MO
Been thanked: 0

Re: Blocks Task

Post by blazer »

Does anybody have any ideas of how to do this? It seems like the hardest task.
Regionals: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Thermodynamics, 1st Experimental Design, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Forestry, 4th Gravity Vehicle, 5th Optics
State: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Gravity Vehicle, 1st Optics, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Experimental Design, 3rd Thermodynamics, 6th Forestry
Nationals: Tie for 1st Robot Arm
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

I'm thinking you could line the blocks up on a hinged board and then raise the other end. You would need some sort of a corral to keep them stacked, though, which raises a question: if the block is touching a vertical wall, technically there is a tiny frictional force supporting the block. Do you think judges are likely to count this as not being supported entirely by the block underneath?
Lieficheep
Division: C
State: KY

Post by Lieficheep »

blazer wrote:Does anybody have any ideas of how to do this? It seems like the hardest task.
Agreed... Im not sure if I actually want to try to incorporate this, swapping it for the pulley seems so much easier, but... 30 points is a lot.
DeltaHat

Post by DeltaHat »

Flavorflav wrote:I'm thinking you could line the blocks up on a hinged board and then raise the other end. You would need some sort of a corral to keep them stacked, though, which raises a question: if the block is touching a vertical wall, technically there is a tiny frictional force supporting the block. Do you think judges are likely to count this as not being supported entirely by the block underneath?
If you could make the corral fall away after the blocks are stacked, there would no longer be a problem.
National Event Supervisor - Mission Possible
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Well, you'd have a different problem - I would think that would take up a whole lot of your room.
DeltaHat

Post by DeltaHat »

Already the event is becoming more than just "do whatever the rules say". Strategies are growing and compromises are being made. We did good this year.
National Event Supervisor - Mission Possible
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

I agree, a big improvement on last year's rules.
zcshiner
State: PA

Post by zcshiner »

DeltaHat wrote:Already the event is becoming more than just "do whatever the rules say". Strategies are growing and compromises are being made. We did good this year.
I agree, but I also feel that certain tasks (Sign Task) introduce uncontrolled variables (air currents, static cling, etc.), and make aspects of the device uncontrollable and random. To quote user old from the Sign Task thread, "the teams with the best builders and lab event performances did no better (often worse) then those who were poor at those things".
Uncle Fester
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

Okay, so strategy is now a big factor. Actually, it always has been, just never blatantly advertised like now.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!

Return to “Mission Possible C”