Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sand Timer Task

Post by Primate »

Danny Smith wrote:
courage7856 wrote:
Danny Smith wrote:In my contraption, I have a step that goes from a sand timer, which runs for approximately 45 seconds, to a mousetrap. I have not been able to find a reliable way to accomplish this though. I have tried making quarters be knocked by sand onto the trap, but when the sand falls, it gets underneath the switch, not allowing it to compress. Any ideas on a simple, small action to bridge the gap between sand and mousetrap?
I'm not sure I understand you. The rules say that the mousetrap starting with a quarter has to be the first task (it doesn't HAVE to, but you'll get a hefty penalty). Therefore, you should probably be using your mousetrap to start your sand timer (or another first task).
This is a second, different mousetrap. The mousetrap being set off does not score points. but the mousetrap is needed to pull a stiff pin to drop a heavy weight...so on. I may need to change more than just the connecting action, but if there was an easy enough way, it'd be really convenient.
Put a cup on the end of a weighted lever. Fill the cup up with sand, tip the lever, spring the mousetrap.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

^ That's exactly what I was going to suggest too. Find the proper weight for a counter-weight on the opposite end of the lever.
JTMess
Division: Grad

Post by JTMess »

Under Scoring Points in the rules, it says "2 points, for each full second of operation up to the ideal time." Is that ideal time referred to the same as the device operation ideal time or is the sand timer ideal time 15 seconds?
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

JTMess wrote:Under Scoring Points in the rules, it says "2 points, for each full second of operation up to the ideal time." Is that ideal time referred to the same as the device operation ideal time or is the sand timer ideal time 15 seconds?
In this case the timing of the operation is the device operation ideal time. The sand timer is included in the operation time.
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

My school's MP team just had a cork in a Coke bottle filled with sand attached to a string. The string was pulled out, and the sand began to fall.

It was that simple.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

All of my other tasks are finished in around 20 seconds. That means I have to run my sand timer (it's the last task) for aobut 40 seconds. The only way I could think of to do that is to use a really small hole for my funnel (my funnel is an upside-down coke bottle). But then the problem is that it clogs, and the sand flow is inconsistent. What have you guys done to run your device for the ideal time of 60 seconds? If you used a smaller hole, how did that work for you?
kcanvan

Post by kcanvan »

I have an issue with some of the sand bouncing uncontrollably.. if even a few grains of sand leave the 50x50x80 box, will the 50 point deduction still be given?
2011 events ~ Regionals
Mission Possible (5th) - Mousetrap (11th) - Forensics (7th) - Fossils (14th) - Helicopter (1st) - Disease Detective (11th)
Primate

Post by Primate »

kcanvan wrote:I have an issue with some of the sand bouncing uncontrollably.. if even a few grains of sand leave the 50x50x80 box, will the 50 point deduction still be given?
Most likely. Put up a plexiglass wall on the leaky side(s) of your device.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

Have judges been very particular that you have to use sand? Or have you been allowed to use sugar or salt?
unquantumphysics
State: VA

Post by unquantumphysics »

What in the world is the "ideal time"?

Return to “Mission Possible C”