Sign Task

bugsrcool
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sign Task

Post by bugsrcool »

From what I understand, balloon race only received one try to see if it worked. In Mission, the competitors get to try out their prediction as many times as they can in the 30 minutes of setup time. It would be their fault if they predicted a particular mass and it failed due to poor preparation on site. Teams should prepare several different signs to compensate for the different conditions and see which one works best on site. (And picking a table that isn't under an air conditioning vent when setting up is't a bad suggestion either.)
...and the bugs shall rule the world!!!
blazer
State: MO

Post by blazer »

If some factor changes in between set up and run, and the balloon won't rise, couldn't you just use a touch to remove some of the sign's mass. Would that task still get points?
Regionals: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Thermodynamics, 1st Experimental Design, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Forestry, 4th Gravity Vehicle, 5th Optics
State: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Gravity Vehicle, 1st Optics, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Experimental Design, 3rd Thermodynamics, 6th Forestry
Nationals: Tie for 1st Robot Arm
buzzbuzz
State: KS

Post by buzzbuzz »

I don't believe that task would get points. From what I understand, whatever fails to work in your device will not count. Since your touch would lead to the balloon rising, you'd lose 250+ points.
sj
State: NJ

Post by sj »

So we are lifting 8 grams with a 12 in latex balloon. How does this stack up with other people?
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th
WWP SOUTH 3rd At NATS!!!!!

2012 Events: Robot Arm, Towers, Gravity Vehicle
jarrred_1415
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by jarrred_1415 »

sj wrote:So we are lifting 8 grams with a 12 in latex balloon. How does this stack up with other people?
thats a lot more than what i ever got
the most i lifted was 3.5 grams with standard square mylar balloon
sj

Post by sj »

oh we've lifted almost the same amount with mylar balloons but they were just slightly too large. I don't think that devices that do all of the tasks can have more than 12 inch balloons...
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th

illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

I agree with that for my device. It's possible to squeeze in a 16 inch, but it would be pretty risky... IDK, the risk may be worth it though. You could get almost 200 more points with a 16 inch.
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

illusionist wrote:I agree with that for my device. It's possible to squeeze in a 16 inch, but it would be pretty risky... IDK, the risk may be worth it though. You could get almost 200 more points with a 16 inch.
The risk is always worth it.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

Primate wrote:
illusionist wrote:I agree with that for my device. It's possible to squeeze in a 16 inch, but it would be pretty risky... IDK, the risk may be worth it though. You could get almost 200 more points with a 16 inch.
The risk is always worth it.
Absolutely.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
sj

Post by sj »

I saw on the ohio thread that solon was able to lift over 177 grams with their balloon. Does anyone know how they accomplished this, if anyone else is doing this and where such balloons could be found/ how we could make them?

Return to “Mission Possible C”