Tasks & Scoring

Primate
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tasks & Scoring

Post by Primate »

sj wrote:What do you guys think the top missions at nationals will score?

Im assuming all the highest tasks, but how long should they take.

Also how much mass should we be lifting?
I think 5 seconds for everything but the sand timer/balloon is a reasonable assumption for a nationals-winning device. 15g is a good number to aim for.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
sj
State: NJ

Post by sj »

The 5 sec is fine but is it even possible to lift 15g consistently and quickly with a legally sized balloon?

If so can you tell me where we can get the right balloons and how big they should be?
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th
WWP SOUTH 3rd At NATS!!!!!

2012 Events: Robot Arm, Towers, Gravity Vehicle
Primate

Post by Primate »

sj wrote:The 5 sec is fine but is it even possible to lift 15g consistently and quickly with a legally sized balloon?

If so can you tell me where we can get the right balloons and how big they should be?
As big as they possibly can be, without obscuring the rest of your device. We only aimed for 10g, and our non-sandtimer tasks took a good 15 seconds, but that was enough to place third at NY states. If you want those last couple of places, though, you'll have to do whatever you can to lift more mass/shorten everything up.
sj
State: NJ

Post by sj »

Well we have all the high tasks, 4 to 5 secs for all the tasks and then 45cm cube for balloon. We have yet to find balloons that big. Any ideas?
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th
WWP SOUTH 3rd At NATS!!!!!

2012 Events: Robot Arm, Towers, Gravity Vehicle
Primate

Post by Primate »

sj wrote:Well we have all the high tasks, 4 to 5 secs for all the tasks and then 45cm cube for balloon. We have yet to find balloons that big. Any ideas?
45cm is about 17-18 inches, which is actually a pretty common size for mylar balloons. Your local grocery stores should have plenty. Granted, they'll only be 17" in one direction, but that might still work for you.

You can also get extra big latex balloons.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Well, we had our regional tournament today, and our MP was somewhat successful. We used 9 tasks, a 5.8 gram sign, and touched the device once. Our final score was 1010, which was enough to get us second in our region.
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

illusionist wrote:Well, we had our regional tournament today, and our MP was somewhat successful. We used 9 tasks, a 5.8 gram sign, and touched the device once. Our final score was 1010, which was enough to get us second in our region.
Congrats!

I've noticed that (since Mission Possible is such an INCREDIBLY hard event) not many schools bother with MP. We had a ridiculously hard time coming up with a machine last year, but we showed up at Regionals and owned the competition! We got a perfect score, but our MP was one of two out of . . . I don't know, TEN, that actually did all of the tasks unassisted. Our area has Mission Possible, but one could hardly call it a competition. Last year one team showed up with a device that did two tasks.

Schools tend to avoid Mission Possible because it's too risky. I wish people would take the leap and try this event. It was the hardest SO event I've ever been in, but very rewarding.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

Thank you!
I agree, last year our school tried it, and it kinda failed. So they gave up on it at regionals. It is definitely at least worth trying. I mean what can you lose??
haverstall
Division: Grad
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

I wanted some clarification on something our team was thinking. Instead of running 10 normal tasks, we would run 11 tasks, but have one of the tasks (most likely our simple machine task, the third class lever) not count toward our score, because it works so well, but we want to get the other high-scoring tasks.

Is this a construction violation for more tasks, even if we don't count it toward our score, and also don't mention as a official task in our TSL?
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

If you don't mention it in your TSL, and the task has something to do to cause the final task, I think it would be okay. For example, I have 3 instances of circular-to-linear, and as long as i don't mention them in the TSL, it is fine.

Return to “Mission Possible C”