Tasks & Scoring

Primate
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tasks & Scoring

Post by Primate »

I just briefly looked over the rules, and I noticed they gave us choices on which tasks we wanted to do. I really like this idea, but I feel like the implementation is worrisome. If I'm not missing something, there's no point in attempting any of the 20 point tasks. They don't seem significantly easier than most of the other tasks, and you automatically give up 10 points, even if you complete the task.

Is there any advantage to picking the easier tasks?
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
DeltaHat
Division: Grad

Re: Tasks & Scoring

Post by DeltaHat »

If you are new to SO and don't have much engineering experience, successfully accomplishing the easy tasks is far better than failing completely at the hard ones.
National Event Supervisor - Mission Possible
Primate

Post by Primate »

I'd still much rather convert circular motion to linear motion than try and turn a screw.
sj
State: NJ

Post by sj »

so we only get the points for 8 tasks?
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th
WWP SOUTH 3rd At NATS!!!!!

2012 Events: Robot Arm, Towers, Gravity Vehicle
Primate

Post by Primate »

sj wrote:so we only get the points for 8 tasks?
In 2.d.ii, it says: "Teams may choose up to 8 additional tasks from 4.b. - 4.m. These may occur in any order." Seems to imply that it's actually illegal to choose any more than eight tasks. But under 6.h, it says teams earn "20, 30, 40, or 50 points for the first time each lettered task from section 4 is successfully completed," so it would seem like you earn points for every task you complete, whether or not you limit yourself to eight.

My guess is they just forgot to specify in the scoring section that you're only allowed eight tasks. But I'll definitely submit a clarfication--it would suck to lose 80 points because you only did the specified number of tasks and another team did all of them and still got credit.
DeltaHat

Post by DeltaHat »

You should put in a clarification for that.
National Event Supervisor - Mission Possible
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Primate wrote:
sj wrote:so we only get the points for 8 tasks?
In 2.d.ii, it says: "Teams may choose up to 8 additional tasks from 4.b. - 4.m. These may occur in any order." Seems to imply that it's actually illegal to choose any more than eight tasks. But under 6.h, it says teams earn "20, 30, 40, or 50 points for the first time each lettered task from section 4 is successfully completed," so it would seem like you earn points for every task you complete, whether or not you limit yourself to eight.

My guess is they just forgot to specify in the scoring section that you're only allowed eight tasks. But I'll definitely submit a clarfication--it would suck to lose 80 points because you only did the specified number of tasks and another team did all of them and still got credit.
As written, it seems to me that the rules say that they would actually earn points for completing more than eight additional tasks - however, they would also have a construction violation. Therefore, they would be placed in the second tier and ranked well behind you.
Samus
State: CA

Post by Samus »

Does anyone know when the timing is stopped for the whole event? Is it stopped when the balloon and sign start to rise, or is the time stopped when the balloon and sign stop rising?
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

Samus wrote:Does anyone know when the timing is stopped for the whole event? Is it stopped when the balloon and sign start to rise, or is the time stopped when the balloon and sign stop rising?
Neither. It is when the bottom of the sign goes above the highest point in your device.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
paronomasia
State: AZ

Post by paronomasia »

DeltaHat wrote:If you are new to SO and don't have much engineering experience, successfully accomplishing the easy tasks is far better than failing completely at the hard ones.
Also, with difficult tasks you run the risk of them not working, which leaves you not only with NO points for that task and a 15 point penalty on top of that (for adjusting the device).

Return to “Mission Possible C”