Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Glue

Post by aubrey048 »

Nail polish remover is best on glue-covered hands. The same happens to me when I use it on balsa. I suggest you use it and shave off the leftover glue with an exacto-knife. That was my strategy.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
chia
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by chia »

Does CA loosen with humidity? I sort of doubt it, but that's the reason my partner suggested for my relatively decent regionals copter breaking at the joints from pressure , and I don't have much of an explanation.
...Maybe it was the rubber that was affected? Even though it didn't have as many winds as I have put in before, my partner said it was getting really really hard to handle (very tight).
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

chia wrote:Does CA loosen with humidity? I sort of doubt it, but that's the reason my partner suggested for my relatively decent regionals copter breaking at the joints from pressure , and I don't have much of an explanation.
...Maybe it was the rubber that was affected? Even though it didn't have as many winds as I have put in before, my partner said it was getting really really hard to handle (very tight).
It wouldn't be the CA loosening with humidity... :?

The wood itself swells, especially with something like balsa, and wood swelling is not good, no matter what. It happens to a lot of things, like my violin. I left it in high humidity, and part of the bow swelled enough to break. Which goes to reason that it could easily happen to a softwood helicopter.

The rubber wasn't THAT bad, just seemed tighter because it was the first time I wound 1/8, and it didn't seem to take more than 850 without problems.
chia

Post by chia »

kjhsscioly wrote:
chia wrote:Does CA loosen with humidity? I sort of doubt it, but that's the reason my partner suggested for my relatively decent regionals copter breaking at the joints from pressure , and I don't have much of an explanation.
It wouldn't be the CA loosening with humidity... :?

The wood itself swells, especially with something like balsa, and wood swelling is not good, no matter what. It happens to a lot of things, like my violin. I left it in high humidity, and part of the bow swelled enough to break. Which goes to reason that it could easily happen to a softwood helicopter.

The rubber wasn't THAT bad, just seemed tighter because it was the first time I wound 1/8, and it didn't seem to take more than 850 without problems.
Lol whoops. That's what it soundd like to my sleep-deprived brain, I guess.
Wait... I knew that! Why'd I even bother asking? -fail-
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

Don't worry about it... there may be a solution, keeping rice in the helicopter box
thewinner
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by thewinner »

Yeah, putting rice and/or silica gel in your helicopter box definitely helps with humidity problems. Just make sure the rice doesn't slosh around and puncture the covering material.
I win.
lllazar

Post by lllazar »

The really annoying part is Chia and kjhsscioly, we know for a fact that it is going to be very humid in come april 16th :)
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
thewinner
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by thewinner »

I'm in New Jersey, so luckily that doesn't bother me very much. :D
By the way, what kind of boxes are you using to store your helicopters? I am using a simple cardboard box, but that apparently doesn't work very well, as I broke 5 out of 6 helicopters at least once... :(
I win.
chia

Post by chia »

lllazar wrote:The really annoying part is (shouldn't there be a comma here? XD) Chia and kjhsscioly, we know for a fact that it is going to be very humid in come april 16th :)
For some reason I don't remember humidity having been a problem for Wright Stuff...
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>
lllazar

Post by lllazar »

Grammar Nazi!!!

Getting back on topic, i'm sure if we all build safely and keep our stuff dry with rice, we should be fine.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?

Return to “Helicopters C”