Glue

thewinner
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Glue

Post by thewinner »

Yeah, putting rice and/or silica gel in your helicopter box definitely helps with humidity problems. Just make sure the rice doesn't slosh around and puncture the covering material.
I win.
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

The really annoying part is Chia and kjhsscioly, we know for a fact that it is going to be very humid in come april 16th :)
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
thewinner
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by thewinner »

I'm in New Jersey, so luckily that doesn't bother me very much. :D
By the way, what kind of boxes are you using to store your helicopters? I am using a simple cardboard box, but that apparently doesn't work very well, as I broke 5 out of 6 helicopters at least once... :(
I win.
chia
Division: Grad

Post by chia »

lllazar wrote:The really annoying part is (shouldn't there be a comma here? XD) Chia and kjhsscioly, we know for a fact that it is going to be very humid in come april 16th :)
For some reason I don't remember humidity having been a problem for Wright Stuff...
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
lllazar

Post by lllazar »

Grammar Nazi!!!

Getting back on topic, i'm sure if we all build safely and keep our stuff dry with rice, we should be fine.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
chia

Post by chia »

It just sounded like you were saying "The really annoying part is Chia and Kjhsscioly" and then some unrelated stuff afterwards :lol: but who cares, it's all good.

Getting actually back on topic, anyone know where (online or otherwise) to buy spray-on glue? I think I'm having a bit of a weight issue when gluing mylar on rotors with CA from a tube - I apply too much or unevenly, and I end up with one side of a rotor weighing significantly more than the other.
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

chia wrote:For some reason I don't remember humidity having been a problem for Wright Stuff...
Extremes of humidity and heat were a problem for Wright Stuff when the national tournament was held in Washington DC a couple of years back. Was a hot humid, rainy Washington day and you could tell the planes were much floppier and got more so as the day went on.

Note, humidity does NOT affect superglue, it affects the balsa, increasing its weight and reducing its stiffness.
chia wrote:<SNIP> anyone know where (online or otherwise) to buy spray-on glue? I think I'm having a bit of a weight issue when gluing mylar on rotors with CA from a tube - I apply too much or unevenly, and I end up with one side of a rotor weighing significantly more than the other.
Yeah, I was shocked you could get to weight using CA for the covering. Spray-on glue is available lots of places. Craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Big box hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowes. Hobby stores. Art supply stores. Almost any brand or grade works fine. You can use less of the stickiest grades, but the less sticky grades allow removing and reattaching the covering if you are careful.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

chia wrote:Getting actually back on topic, anyone know where (online or otherwise) to buy spray-on glue? I think I'm having a bit of a weight issue when gluing mylar on rotors with CA from a tube - I apply too much or unevenly, and I end up with one side of a rotor weighing significantly more than the other.
Yup, what jander14indoor said. I personally prefer 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. It has just the right amount of stickyness
chia

Post by chia »

Thanks, guys. I think it'll help a lot with the balance issues I've had. Now I have to focus more on the really little details, like this and less friction in the bearings, since I understand the mechanics and general idea of what makes a copter that flies evenly and for a long time. And I could probably use the weight saved with spray-on glue on strengthening prop hooks and such (the last ones I made were sorta flimsy and made it hard to wind).
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

How many people use CA vs. wood glue? I used to use CA, but had problems with the glue soaking into the joints, and not drying together, but wood glue is not as strong, and ambrose cement just doesn't work at all.

On the topic of boxes, is humidity affected by plastic or cardboard boxes, and what could I do to absorb shock... It is 2.5 hr ride to state, is a bumpy bus.

Return to “Helicopters C”