Post by smartkid222 » February 26th, 2011, 9:06 am

Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Glue

Post by illusionist » February 26th, 2011, 9:28 am

Does acetone work on softening CA glue as well? I've been reading around, and acetone seems to work. Any experience?
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

ClaytonShen
Division: B
State: OH

Post by ClaytonShen » March 7th, 2011, 5:47 am

Yes I've heard about acetone too ..

No experience though ...

Frogger4907
State: KS

Post by Frogger4907 » March 7th, 2011, 7:03 am

illusionist wrote:Does acetone work on softening CA glue as well? I've been reading around, and acetone seems to work. Any experience?
Yes acetone is a key component to de-bonders
State: 1st overall Thermodynamics lab

illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist » March 7th, 2011, 1:35 pm

I tried using nail polish remover today on my CA glue, and it did not work. Instead, it just made the balsa week enough so that the thing rips off.
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 » March 7th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Nail polish remover is best on glue-covered hands. The same happens to me when I use it on balsa. I suggest you use it and shave off the leftover glue with an exacto-knife. That was my strategy.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).

chia
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by chia » March 12th, 2011, 5:44 pm

Does CA loosen with humidity? I sort of doubt it, but that's the reason my partner suggested for my relatively decent regionals copter breaking at the joints from pressure , and I don't have much of an explanation.
...Maybe it was the rubber that was affected? Even though it didn't have as many winds as I have put in before, my partner said it was getting really really hard to handle (very tight).
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly » March 15th, 2011, 5:15 am

chia wrote:Does CA loosen with humidity? I sort of doubt it, but that's the reason my partner suggested for my relatively decent regionals copter breaking at the joints from pressure , and I don't have much of an explanation.
...Maybe it was the rubber that was affected? Even though it didn't have as many winds as I have put in before, my partner said it was getting really really hard to handle (very tight).
It wouldn't be the CA loosening with humidity... :?

The wood itself swells, especially with something like balsa, and wood swelling is not good, no matter what. It happens to a lot of things, like my violin. I left it in high humidity, and part of the bow swelled enough to break. Which goes to reason that it could easily happen to a softwood helicopter.

The rubber wasn't THAT bad, just seemed tighter because it was the first time I wound 1/8, and it didn't seem to take more than 850 without problems.

chia

Post by chia » March 15th, 2011, 5:22 am

kjhsscioly wrote:
chia wrote:Does CA loosen with humidity? I sort of doubt it, but that's the reason my partner suggested for my relatively decent regionals copter breaking at the joints from pressure , and I don't have much of an explanation.
It wouldn't be the CA loosening with humidity... :?

The wood itself swells, especially with something like balsa, and wood swelling is not good, no matter what. It happens to a lot of things, like my violin. I left it in high humidity, and part of the bow swelled enough to break. Which goes to reason that it could easily happen to a softwood helicopter.

The rubber wasn't THAT bad, just seemed tighter because it was the first time I wound 1/8, and it didn't seem to take more than 850 without problems.
Lol whoops. That's what it soundd like to my sleep-deprived brain, I guess.
Wait... I knew that! Why'd I even bother asking? -fail-
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly » March 15th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Don't worry about it... there may be a solution, keeping rice in the helicopter box

Return to “Helicopters C”