Building materials, covering

Kovu
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Building materials, covering

Post by Kovu »

Whenever we put mylar on it seems to not be as tight as it should be, any suggestions on how to make it tighter?
They say first place is a lonely place.
Unless you have a partner then it is one heck of a place.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Kovu wrote:Whenever we put mylar on it seems to not be as tight as it should be, any suggestions on how to make it tighter?
Here is one method (scroll down until you see it).
I use grocery bags instead of mylar (much easier, not much of a weight problem), and the way I do it is that I start at the outside edge of the rotor, and slowly lay down a section, ensuring that I pull it tight, make that section stick, and then do the next section of the rotor blade.
chia
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by chia »

Kovu wrote:Whenever we put mylar on it seems to not be as tight as it should be, any suggestions on how to make it tighter?
If you do use mylar, wrinkle up the piece you're going to cover with before you glue - it makes it a lot more manageable and easier to keep tight.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Don't overdo tight, too much will distort that very lightweight frame you spent so much time getting right. A little looseness is OK.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Kovu
State: OH

Post by Kovu »

Okay, ill try some of those ideas we have a decent method just trying to make it better.
They say first place is a lonely place.
Unless you have a partner then it is one heck of a place.
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

Have you ever seen a covering cradle? It is basically two parallel wood pieces held together by rods, and when the pieces are coated in vaseline, it can hold mylar down. Try covering in segments, especially toward the middle. I cover the furthest segment on the cradle, the pick it up and do one side of the middle segment, then the bottom and other side, then finally, the last segment. Also, having really clean hands helps, because the mylar won't stick on them. After you put it down, don't pull on the plastic, you will only warp the piece. Instead, gently pull it taut, to cut, or better yet burn the excess mylar off with a fine tipped soldering iron. Like chia said, wrinkling helps, because the minute wrinkles give it the stretch to prevent big wrinkles. just don't get concerned if it isn't pretty- a little give lets rotors catch more air on the way down.
chia

Post by chia »

kjhsscioly wrote:
Have you ever seen a covering cradle? It is basically two parallel wood pieces held together by rods, and when the pieces are coated in vaseline, it can hold mylar down. Try covering in segments, especially toward the middle. I cover the furthest segment on the cradle, the pick it up and do one side of the middle segment, then the bottom and other side, then finally, the last segment. Also, having really clean hands helps, because the mylar won't stick on them. After you put it down, don't pull on the plastic, you will only warp the piece. Instead, gently pull it taut, to cut, or better yet burn the excess mylar off with a fine tipped soldering iron. Like chia said, wrinkling helps, because the minute wrinkles give it the stretch to prevent big wrinkles. just don't get concerned if it isn't pretty- a little give lets rotors catch more air on the way down.
Thoug, as we figured out, it's a lot more awkward to use on a helicopter rotor (Well, if your rotors aren't flat).
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

yeah, it takes some practice to cover, and comes with building a lot. I have found it easier to cover alone, though it seems couterintuitive, because you have complete control.
sj
State: NJ

Post by sj »

One of my teammates father works in the plastics industry and said that he may be able to provide a low density, ultra-thin, nylon material for covering props. Does anyone see any significant advantages to this. Hopefully this material will be easier to work with compared to mylar.
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th
WWP SOUTH 3rd At NATS!!!!!

2012 Events: Robot Arm, Towers, Gravity Vehicle
Frogger4907
State: KS

Post by Frogger4907 »

sj wrote:One of my teammates father works in the plastics industry and said that he may be able to provide a low density, ultra-thin, nylon material for covering props. Does anyone see any significant advantages to this. Hopefully this material will be easier to work with compared to mylar.
The thinner it is the harder it is to work with. The Thinner it is the better it is for flight times.
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
20 Div C State Medals

Return to “Helicopters C”