Designs and Kits

New_Albany_Eagle
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designs and Kits

Post by New_Albany_Eagle »

Anyone have any idea what is the design that works the best? It's my first time on the event.

Olive :D
2011 events: Ecology, Write It Do It, Awesome Aquifers
Trial events: Helicopters
Past events: Crime Busters, Can't Judge a Powder, and Meteorology
wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

I don't think kits make a difference. The top teams will be using a custom design. The kits are for those teams who, without a starting point, may not have a helicopter. The event is more about testing and modification anyway. It is essentially a "design of experiments" where different parameters are tested to determine the best performance. The kit only provides the "control".

The argument favoring kits was actually made by someone opposed to them with the following statement.
sj wrote:... We used a kit to get an idea of how the event works and then started custom building which has given us far better results.
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

True, but I think you learn far more by figuring it out all by yourself FROM THE BEGINNING.

For my partner and I it was a very interesting learning experience drawing up a design and then making it a reality. We went through three or four different concepts before we settled on the best one we felt we could accomplish. A picture of our helicopter is in the image gallery for anyone who is interested in checking it out. (It's the blue-winged one). The only other building event I had done prior to this year was Mission Possible, and my partner had no SO experience. We tried to do the best with the skills and materials we had. By trial-and-error we learned SO MUCH this year! through our own experimentation we created a MOVING, FLYING HELICOPTER! That blew our minds. Even though we didn't win, it was a great experience nonetheless (and it takes a lot for me to say that, because I am VERY COMPETITIVE). If we participate in helicopter again next year we will already know what to do to improve our design. If not, we have a lot of useful info to give to the next team when it's time to pass the torch.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
lllazar
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

Personally, i like to forget about the fact that scioly is a competition and just focus on learning and discovering new things regarding my respective events. There's no point in improving for the sole sake of winning, because you quickly forget what really matters.

Getting back on track, does anyone use the harlan prop hanger? I find it works quite well and it's not too hard to manage the mass.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
thewinner
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by thewinner »

Is it significantly better in any way than the standard Ikara? I've never tried the Harlan hanger, but I broke the Ikara prop hook once when trying to wind on the helicopter (FAIL) and wanted to try something different.
I win.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

I make my own rotor hangars. The weight might be a little excessive, but they are sturdy and reliable.

Here is a picture of mine: http://gallery.scioly.org/details.php?image_id=3252

And here are a couple videos showing one method for making such a hangar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8YL3kYLTVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAnm1gXUyx4
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

when you make your own hanger, how do you get stability without the friction of a tight fit?
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

kjhsscioly wrote:when you make your own hanger, how do you get stability without the friction of a tight fit?
I form it around a piece of wire with the same thickness as my rotor shaft. It's very similar to a Pigtail Thrust bearing sold by Harlan.
I'm not quit understanding your question. Could you rephrase it?
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

well, putting wire through 2 holes won't ensure a perfect and unmoving fit, but too loose and it will wobble, and too tight will make it stick. I was wondering if there is a good solution for perfect stability.
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

I don't experience that problem at all with my rotor hangars... Keep in mind that the rubber is pulling the rotor down, also aiding in keeping it from wobbling so much. Plus, its not just two holes. It's one hole, and another screw, which kind of acts like a cylinder around the prop shaft. what I just typed probably didn't make much sense

Return to “Helicopters C”