Designs and Kits

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Designs and Kits

Post by jander14indoor »

Totally aside from the importance of not automatically believing advertising copy, even if the design in the kit is capable of reaching two minutes in experienced hands (who don't NEED a kit) YOU still need to do your homework (careful build, test, evaluation and adjustment) to get the kit to do two minutes. And if you do that you 'GET' the academic point of the event. As important, you'll have fun and have earned any contest results you get.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

PS, sorry for the run-on sentence, my English teacher's of MANY years ago would cringe over that!
Frogger4907
Division: Grad
State: KS
Been thanked: 0

Post by Frogger4907 »

jander14indoor wrote:Totally aside from the importance of not automatically believing advertising copy, even if the design in the kit is capable of reaching two minutes in experienced hands (who don't NEED a kit) YOU still need to do your homework (careful build, test, evaluation and adjustment) to get the kit to do two minutes. And if you do that you 'GET' the academic point of the event. As important, you'll have fun and have earned any contest results you get.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

PS, sorry for the run-on sentence, my English teacher's of MANY years ago would cringe over that!
I wish they would have a video of there tests of their kits, for a little proof, but oh well. :|
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
20 Div C State Medals
eta150
State: PA

Post by eta150 »

The river city rocket has a video on youtube that shows it breaking 1:30 (I think) in an 8 foot ceiling.
#ACESWILD
Frogger4907

Post by Frogger4907 »

eta150 wrote:The river city rocket has a video on youtube that shows it breaking 1:30 (I think) in an 8 foot ceiling.
oh can you link it? sounds pretty good.
20 Div C State Medals
CodyHaern
Division: C

Post by CodyHaern »

I need to practice helicopters for state :)
eta150
State: PA

Post by eta150 »

It was earlier in the thread, here it is again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqV_y-CSznM
#ACESWILD
Frogger4907

Post by Frogger4907 »

eta150 wrote:It was earlier in the thread, here it is again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqV_y-CSznM
Thanks... :)
20 Div C State Medals
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

Hey guys i was just wondering, how much clay(mass wise) should i be adding to the copter. It comes out to be 3.6 g built without the clay, so i was just wondering if i should invest some of that mass in a stronger motor stick, seeing as .4g of clay...seems a little excessive.

Basically, assuming it's completely balanced when built (and it practically is because i have 2 free rotors, and it has the same components top and bottom) how much more mass do i want to add to the bottom, since we want it to act as a ballast?
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
chia

Post by chia »

If you're sure the motor stick you have now isn't going to bend excessively or break or anything, there probably isn't any point using a different one. And if you have to add clay anywhere, you should probably add it at the very bottom - even if it's .4 grams of it (as long as you can figure out how to attach it without it interfering with the mechanics, since you said yours had the bottom rotor free as well, right?). I think it's okay if the copter is "bottom-heavy", it just can't be top-heavy.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

lllazar wrote:Hey guys i was just wondering, how much clay(mass wise) should i be adding to the copter. It comes out to be 3.6 g built without the clay, so i was just wondering if i should invest some of that mass in a stronger motor stick, seeing as .4g of clay...seems a little excessive.

Basically, assuming it's completely balanced when built (and it practically is because i have 2 free rotors, and it has the same components top and bottom) how much more mass do i want to add to the bottom, since we want it to act as a ballast?

If it is perfectly balanced, at the bottom will help it keep from swinging, but since balance isn't always the case, you can use minute amounts of clay or glue at the ends of rotors to balance. Also, building to mass is better than adding clay, because of even distribution. Our regionals copters both came within 5/100ths of a gram of target (sans clay).

Return to “Helicopters C”