Rubber

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Rubber

Post by jander14indoor »

You'll also find some detailed descriptions on how to fly by yourself in the archives under Wright Stuff. Change to helicopters didn't really change the process. I wrote one up, other than me as author, not sure what key words to search on. Probably winding, stooge, rubber, hand would get you close.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by lllazar »

Thanks guys!
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by blue cobra »

jander14indoor wrote:<SNIP> Note, when they use O-rings, don't think of black rubber plumbing parts, too large and heavy.<SNIP>
When I tried using plastic O-rings, they broke after just a couple flights, so it was back to black rubber. But I never tried the tube in spray bottles. Does that plastic hold up well?

Also, with Armor All, do you just spray it directly on the rubber, or is there some necessary prep work?
lllazar wrote:All righty - so i had my coach finally order everything today and i think im set to start testing new designs over winter break. I just had one more question about setting up the helicopter before flight testing - how would i go about winding it by myself, as in no partner to hold it for me? This is just for times when im testing it by myself.

Thanks again for all the helpful answers!
The simplest way to wind by yourself is probably to just take a 3" C-clamp or something like that, wrap some wire around it and form a hook. Clamp this clamp-hook to the bleachers or a table or something and keep your helicopter nearby on a table or stand or somewhere where you can easily and safely reach it. Wind on this hook, move rubber from the winder to the helicopter, then move the rubber from the clamp-hook to the other end of the helicopter. If you want something a bit fancier, make a torque meter and clamp that down.
In full color since 2006
new horizon
State: NJ

Post by new horizon »

I have a question, I received competition rubber but it has a really musty, potent smell... something I've never noticed with flight rubber before.
I'm going to guess that it's old? Will that affect the potential energy of the rubber at all? I don't really want to go get more rubber but usually rubber doesn't have a very potent smell so I was wondering if it would affect the time.

oh and ^above, i've never used armor all before (don't think we saw the purpose but I'm sure it helps you get more winds) but you spray it in a plastic bag and put the rubber in it and kind of like, work it.
I still don't understand how lube will make a big difference in your time though.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

After you use the rubber for a couple flights and put in more than 1000 turns into it, it will began to stick together, and sometimes even cut itself. The lubricant allows easier release of the turns(energy) and somewhat lengthens the life of your rubberband.
new horizon
State: NJ

Post by new horizon »

ok thanks, I'll reconsider.

Does anyone have any ideas of my rubber issue? Should I still use this rubber?
lllazar

Post by lllazar »

You really do need lube, at so many winds (1000 range) the rubber will have difficulty releasing the immense amount of potential energy it has, and so you need lube to make it easier to do so.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 »

hmm. well rubber is supposed to smell like...well, rubber. So if it's a potent rubberband smell I guess it's ok.
Look to see if it has any brown or discolored spots on it. Also stretch it a bit and look for small tears. These are bad.
I would recomend just testing it out and see if it holds as many winds as you would expect. If it works like you expect it too...then it works.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
franklinknights

Post by franklinknights »

keep in mind u need to discard teh rubber after 3 uses
Go Central Maroons :)
2011 Season
Helicopter
Dynamic Planet
Mousetrap
Robot Arm
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

hmm, really? I usually use my rubber motors for like 8 flights when I'm testing... Guess I need to adjust my methods then..

Return to “Helicopters C”