franklinknights
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rubber

Post by franklinknights » September 28th, 2010, 6:18 pm

hmm good ideas up there^^^^^

but is it possible to hav ur heli stay up in midair ? like without touching ceiling cuz out ceiling for regionals is like 30ft and for our state its like 300ft :)
Go Central Maroons :)
2011 Season
Helicopter
Dynamic Planet
Mousetrap
Robot Arm

Draylon Fogg
State: KS

Post by Draylon Fogg » December 1st, 2010, 1:47 pm

it really depends on how much force your rotors are pushing and where it levels off, the more force, the higher the distance till it levels off
It's always tea time somewhere in the world...... Come to think of it... It's my tea time... :D
Events I participate:
chem lab
forensics
forestry
helicopter
sounds of music
remote sensing
water quality

lllazar
Location: Probably at my laptop, multitasking while on AJAX chat....

Post by lllazar » December 5th, 2010, 10:33 pm

A few questions:

Where should i buy rubber?
What dimensions of rubber should i buy?
Would it be possible to use no O-rings and just attach the rubber to the hook directly? I feel this would allow for more rubber mass.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?

lonestar
State: TX

Post by lonestar » December 6th, 2010, 7:23 pm

What can I use for lubricant? I have WD-40; would that work well? I see a lot of mention about Armor All, but I don't want to go and buy some special lube if something I already have lying around works fine.

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by andrewwski » December 6th, 2010, 10:30 pm

NO! Don't use WD-40. WD-40 is petroleum based, it will break down the rubber.

There are some places that sell special lubricant for this application - but I've never found them to be worth it. Armor All works just as well, is a lot cheaper, and easy to find.

Whatever you do though, don't use a petroleum based lubricant.

jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor » December 7th, 2010, 5:19 am

lllazar wrote:A few questions:

Where should i buy rubber?
What dimensions of rubber should i buy?
Would it be possible to use no O-rings and just attach the rubber to the hook directly? I feel this would allow for more rubber mass.
The only type of good contest rubber (highest energy storage, ie longest flights) is FAI Model Supply www.faimodelsupply.com You can buy it other places, but might as well go to the source.

Not really sure on rubber size, might want both 3/32 and 1/8 wide to see which works best. Use a piece long enough to weigh 2 grams.

Of course you can skip O-rings, but you might want to ask why the experts use them.
- Note, when they use O-rings, don't think of black rubber plumbing parts, too large and heavy. Top flyers cut their own O-rings from plastic tubing. Lighter and stiffer. You can scrounge tubing by tearing apart an old used up ballpoint pin and grabbing the ink tube. Careful of the mess. The syphon tube of old spray bottles is sometimes the correct size. Any stiff, but flexible plastic tubing around 1/8th diameter with 1/32 or so thick walls. Sliced about 1/32 long. A pair will weigh about 0.04 grams.
- Yes a slight penalty, but its a PAIN to put 1000 plus turns on a motor without a winder. With that many winds on the motor you won't be able to get it off the winder without loosing turns, on balance this offsets the weight difference.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

lllazar
Location: Probably at my laptop, multitasking while on AJAX chat....

Post by lllazar » December 7th, 2010, 8:21 pm

All righty - so i had my coach finally order everything today and i think im set to start testing new designs over winter break. I just had one more question about setting up the helicopter before flight testing - how would i go about winding it by myself, as in no partner to hold it for me? This is just for times when im testing it by myself.

Thanks again for all the helpful answers!
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?

lonestar
State: TX

Post by lonestar » December 7th, 2010, 8:49 pm

andrewwski wrote:NO! Don't use WD-40. WD-40 is petroleum based, it will break down the rubber.

There are some places that sell special lubricant for this application - but I've never found them to be worth it. Armor All works just as well, is a lot cheaper, and easy to find.

Alright. I found some silicone lube, how 'bout that?

eta150
State: PA

Post by eta150 » December 8th, 2010, 4:29 am

lonestar wrote:
andrewwski wrote:NO! Don't use WD-40. WD-40 is petroleum based, it will break down the rubber.

Alright. I found some silicone lube, how 'bout that?
That works nicely, just be careful to keep it off of anything you might want to hold in the future. It's incredibly slippery (its intended purpose), but almost to a fault.

Use it, but just be careful.
#ACESWILD

wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy » December 8th, 2010, 7:04 am

lllazar wrote:All righty - so i had my coach finally order everything today and i think im set to start testing new designs over winter break. I just had one more question about setting up the helicopter before flight testing - how would i go about winding it by myself, as in no partner to hold it for me? This is just for times when im testing it by myself.

Thanks again for all the helpful answers!
To wind and install by yourself you need a winding stooge. Bascially it is a device that holds the winder on one end and has a hook on the other end to hold the motor. Often this is attached to a torque meter. You can make one out of scrap wood, some wire, and a nail. I will try to post a an image in the gallery to help. (I don't know how to attach a photo to this posting.)

With a winding stooge the motor stays wound until you put it on your helicopter.

Return to “Helicopters C”