Building techniques

ironchef48
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Building techniques

Post by ironchef48 »

There was an "Ah-HA" moment as I read jander14indoor's post above- Very helpful THANK YOU
4th in state- Disease Detectives- not bad considering we never placed before!

2010 events: Ecology, Disease Detectives, Microbe Mission, Helicopter

Throw one away- you will anyway
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

My first helicopter I built weighed about 5-6 grams. My second one weighs under 4 grams. The flight times for the first were about 30 sec, and the second one's flight times were over 1:15. Both were of a very similar design. I have experienced what Jeff was saying about keeping the weight down. It really helps with the flight time.
lllazar

Post by lllazar »

Hello, i have question regarding a jig id like to build for the rotors - here's a pic of what id like my final product to look like:

http://www.freedomflightmodels.com/imag ... 0Large.jpg

Now, i understand everything about that except the dimensions of the base sheet of wood - i mean the rectangular piece on which everything sits. Obviously no one would know that (unless you were a freedom flight employee or something) but what width would we want our rotors to be, at the ends, for rotors like those?

Also, wat dimension wood should i use for the rotors? Im thinking 1/16, dunno for sure.

Thank you!
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by blue cobra »

The diagonal is going to be about 40 cm. It's split into 7 sections so each section is about 5.7 cm. The center section without covering looks like it may be a bit smaller, so to make everything easier let's say each covered section is 6 cm and the center section is 4 cm. The width looks to be just a little more than one section, so it's probably about 8 cm. Each half of the uncovered center section appears to be roughly a square, so the vertical portion is probably about 2 cm high. The only way to know for sure would be to get the kit, or get someone who has it to take measurements. 1/16" square will probably work fine.
In full color since 2006
lllazar

Post by lllazar »

Thanks Blue Cobra!!!

Also, i had this idea to put a pointed 3 cm long piece of balsa at the top of the heli, so that when testing at home, or anywhere, when it reached the ceiling it would just rotate about that point and the rotors wouldn't be disturbed in anyway.

Edit: So i made one of those jigs and it isn't perfect - as in a few of the measurements are off by a little bit. Does it really make that much of a difference? When i say a little bit i mean like fractions of millimeters...keep in mind im not overly obsessive about this event, id like to medal at state but im not looking for perfection :)
2011 Season Events~

chia
Division: Grad

Post by chia »

noouuu... my first helicopter is .15 grams under! I was building from the turnertoys parlor copter kit and didn't have wood long enough to make 40 cm rotors (they're only 30 - much too short to be truly competitive, I know). It wobbles a lot, too, even with the stabilizer. Eh, well. I'll test this one a bit and see how bad it sucks/what I can possibly fix, and hopefully the wood I ordered comes in so I can begin to build a better one before this month's invite.

(to lllazar - mine has a probe on the rotor, too - 6 cm. I'll bet it'll become the handiest thing ever.)

Also, why does everyone keep linking to something called "Full Helicopter Kit Large" from freedom flight? the link never works for me :/
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
lllazar

Post by lllazar »

They show a rig to build rotors, it's actually quite nice, i personally just made one myself after seeing it, im not paying 50 bucks for that....
2011 Season Events~

aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

Uh, what shape do you cut the wings into? Do you sort of curve them like birds wings or are they flat but angled?

Thanks, I'm clueless! (The only other building event I've done is Mission Possible, which is NOTHING like this!)
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 »

Try taking a look at the pictures in the image gallery.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

Yeah, I did. But they're pretty varied so I wasn't sure. :?
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).

Return to “Helicopters C”