Creating new topics for helicopter.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Flight Trimming

Postby illusionist » September 3rd, 2010, 4:50 pm

How do I practice for competition flights in a space with a low height? Does partial motors work with helicopters?
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

sj
State: NJ

Postby sj » December 5th, 2010, 3:52 pm

During tryouts at our school me and my partner got 90 seconds. However we did not maximize the size of our props or the length of our rubber. Does anyone know if maximizing either of those two would have a negative effect on flight time? Right now we have 30 cm rotors. Also how does this time compare to what you guys have been getting?
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th
WWP SOUTH 3rd At NATS!!!!!

2012 Events: Robot Arm, Towers, Gravity Vehicle

illusionist

Postby illusionist » December 17th, 2010, 2:27 pm

Does anyone have any ideas on adding weight (ballast) to the helicopter? I have my free rotor at the bottom of the heli...(the one with the thrust bearing). So I'm not sure how to go about adding weight.
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

sj

Postby sj » December 17th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Try adding clay to balance anything that may be imbalanced.
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th

illusionist

Postby illusionist » December 17th, 2010, 6:02 pm

sj wrote:Try adding clay to balance anything that may be imbalanced.

It's not unbalanced, its just under the legal 4 grams. So should I attach the clay to the motorstick?

sj

Postby sj » December 17th, 2010, 6:34 pm

Well what we did is balance our props but if yours are perfectly balanced then i guess its worth a try to attach clay to the motor stick since its not permanent.

illusionist

Postby illusionist » December 17th, 2010, 8:15 pm

Sure, i'll try the clay. Thanks

lllazar
State: IL
Location: Probably at my laptop, multitasking while on AJAX chat....

Postby lllazar » December 21st, 2010, 8:07 pm

Indoors, could i possibly attach a small pointy stick at the top of my copter so that when it hits the ceiling, it rotates about that point? It wouldn't add much weight and it makes testing inside a lot easier.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?

jander14indoor
State: -

Postby jander14indoor » December 22nd, 2010, 4:12 am

That's certainly a common solution, ie it works.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

illusionist

Postby illusionist » December 22nd, 2010, 8:25 am

Just make sure your flying site has a flatish ceiling, otherwise there would be no point of using the stick.

lllazar
State: IL
Location: Probably at my laptop, multitasking while on AJAX chat....

Postby lllazar » December 22nd, 2010, 11:34 am

Well, for regionals we go to a local community college gym and i believe they have a flat ceiling, i've taken classes there before and seen the gym, as for state we fly in a building with height of about 100 feet - the ceiling consists of beams, so idk what we'll do, it honestly affects everyone equally but i do have an idea - we have free flight early morning of state and the day before, so that we can get accustomed to the flight area. I think we'll go and see if we can find a spot where the helicopter flies up and hits a beam - if it hits a beam it is just like hitting the ceiling inside. There won't be any drafts to disturb the heli so if we can devise a method of finding the spot again during the actual test, we'd be fine.

Then again i don't really think it makes difference at that height simply because the helicopter would adjust itself and continue going up every time it is stopped by an obstruction, ie the beam.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?

illusionist

Postby illusionist » December 22nd, 2010, 12:13 pm

The problem I found with having a stick on top in a flying site that has beams, is that the stick will cause the helicopter to get jammed. Kinda hard to explain in words, but it's trying to fight itself, and ends up getting itself permanently stuck (we have to get it down). I'm not sure how accurate or repeatable your method is, but it's definitely worth a try.
Jeff, do you know how high the ceilings are at Region 8(Michigan) and at MI States?

jander14indoor
State: -

Postby jander14indoor » December 22nd, 2010, 12:57 pm

If they hold helicopter in the field house at UofM Dearborn as they have in the past, 40 feet or so. A good helicopter can hit the ceiling in there, it is rafters, I don't have a long enough pole to fish it down!!

At MI state contest, I've suggested a different location, but if it ends up in the usual Wright Stuff Gym, ceiling is 25 ft or so at the peak. Rafters are well spaced so it MAY pay to use a spacer.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

illusionist

Postby illusionist » December 22nd, 2010, 1:13 pm

Okay, thanks Jeff. The ceiling there is pretty nasty... Two years ago I was lucky that one of my Wright Stuff planes flew through a folded basket ball hoop and didn't get stuck! So if we get the helicopter stuck in the rafters at regionals, we're kinda screwed? Couldn't we try a helium balloon with a dowel attached on top (controlled by string)? Well, I'll have to match the right type of rubber for the height then. Any tips for that?(Maybe this isn't the right thread)

Return to “Helicopters C”